Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the output lead disconnected, the voltage at the stud is steady, but less than 5 volts. What is most likely culprit? I tried swapping regulators, but not with a new one.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
*Usually*, low voltage is a bad alternator, high voltage is a bad regulator. However, you have to make sure you're getting power to the field (the small wire). Pull both small wires, turn key to "on" (not start), check voltage at the wires, one should read 0, one should read battery voltage (typically a few tenths less due to circuit resistance).

if both read 0, then you have a circuit break, not a bad alternator.

Now, what vehicle are we talking about? The later TBI models are computer controlled and there's a chance the regulator in that is fried too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the alternator. The only thing I found wrong with it is a dimpled/warped slip ring: the flat one (axial). The dimple is proud not recessed.  I thought the brush would follow it OK. The diodes check out good. I have plenty of spare rotors,  but I'm good for now with a different alternator.

Thanks.

I WISH they made injected big block RC's!  😉

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.