Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ways to soften the ride in my 82 RC.  I came across articles about "velvet ride" shackles that appear to be  a replacement rear shackle for the rear leaf springs that use some kind of rubber torsion system to smooth out the bumps.

Are these still made?  I can't find any website for "velvet rides" and i can't find anyone selling them.  Is there a comparable product still on the market?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I wouldn't do it.  They tend to be very dangerous in emergency maneuver situations.  They unload the rear suspension which can cause you to roll or otherwise lose control.  About the only thing worse would be "revolver shackles".  If you want a softer ride, you need better springs, but custom springs can be expensive.  Just my .02

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I do plan on removing a leaf from each rear spring pack.

My further research has revealed the "Sulastic shackle" which appears to be the modern version of the old "velvet ride" shackle:

http://sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-07

I read some reviews online from people who tried the Sulastic and they say the shackle do improve the unloaded ride of the vehicle for a short time, but wear out after only a few thousand miles. I am not going to spend $400 for only a few thousand miles of improvement. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I ran them on a 2000 F-250 SD CC with no problems, they sure softened the un-loaded ride while maintaining the load capacity of the truck.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Reed said:
I am looking for ways to soften the ride in my 82 RC.
What have you done to the suspension to make it ride hard? They sure don't ride hard stock... ;)

My W250's ride improved drastically from longer leafs with a shackle flip. Didn't buy anything to do it other than bolts... just moved and modified spring hangers to suit.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced the rear leafs with new six leaf spring packs and the shocks with KYBs all around.  I plan on removing one of the leafs in the rear packs and maybe getting different shocks.  The ride has softened a bit since I loaded 600 pounds of sand and about another 200 pounds of parts in the back, plus a full tank of gas (25 gallons).  The six leaf spring packs were a BIG mistake.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Check which KYBs you purchased.  Some are valved more for handling and can make the ride a bit rougher than a typical Gabriel hydraulic.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.  I will look into the cost of different shocks,  I just took a 80 mile round trip highway drive and the ride and handling on this rig are terrible.  I am sure the 800 pounds of junk in the back doesn't help handling.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
6 springs says it all , look at the frame , between the spring mounts , but close to them , see the 3 small holes front and back ? that is where "slippers" U shaped brackets get attached for overload springs , springs that go ontop of yours , they have NO eyes on the ends , they ONLY touch the slippers IF you load heavy , you can make a set very easily , a small maybe 1 inch block ontop of existing spring then the overloads , a plate bolted to the 3 holes , 1/2 circle of 3 inch heavy wall pipe welded to that plate , about 1 1/2 inches above overloads spring ends ... so with less springs in the "normal" package = a good ride , used as a truck , overloads come in contact and it carries weight well .....  just another proven idea ,depending on your needs / desires ... a spring shop would have everything you need , maybe even the slippers ,( large trucks wear them out and they do get replaced ) but making them to "fit" your height is easiest. 

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Reed said:
I replaced the rear leafs with new six leaf spring packs and the shocks with KYBs all around. I plan on removing one of the leafs in the rear packs and maybe getting different shocks. The ride has softened a bit since I loaded 600 pounds of sand and about another 200 pounds of parts in the back, plus a full tank of gas (25 gallons). The six leaf spring packs were a BIG mistake.
What rear leafs did you go with? Are they lift springs?

I swapped well-used 6-leaf D250 pack into the back on my '90 RC. They have a reasonable ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, but I am not runing overload springs or lift springs.  I installed new spring packs that have six leaves instead of the stock five.  I ordered these from Rockauto:

DAYTON 34173 {#3897284}
Rear; 5/1 = 6 Leaf, 2-1/8" Pack Thickness, 2500lb Per Spring Rating

I should have gotten:

DAYTON 34183 {#4030456}
Rear; 4/1 = 5 Leaf, 1-11/16" Pack Thickness, 1700lb Per Spring Rating

I can see at least one spring I can remove from the six leaf pack that I hope will bring it more in line with the five leaf pack and the stock springs. 

I know the shocks are also too stiff, but I don't have an extra $80 to order a different set. 

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Those look like stock replacements for the leafs I run. However, mine have over 200k miles on them already. Taking a leaf out for a test sound like an easy fix.

I run monroe magnum or rancho on nearly everything.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Yeah, hurry up and test this so I'll know if I need to take a leaf out of my '74 W200 springs I am using, lol.  I forget how many leaves they are, but I am guessing they are 5 or 6.  They had overloads but I won't be stacking them on.  I figure they are very similar to later W250 springs.  Same 1.25" OD bushings and all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.