Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I move around alot (in the military). I am currently a TX resident (we have vehicle inspections). My mother lives in FL and I was thinking about changing my residence to FL and my vehicles. FL does not have inspections.

Does anyone know if Virginia or California require inspections for vehicles registered out of state?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am in the military too. I am a California resident. California requires an emissions check on all pre-1972 vehicles. If you are stationed out of the state "from what I was told" is that the 1972 and later vehicles need to have their emissions check the first time you register it and then after you can get a waiver. Try calling the DMV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/contacts/contacts.htm their website doesnt address military people living outside of the state, only those stationed in CA. I do not know anything about Virginia.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
AndrewT said:
I move around alot (in the military). I am currently a TX resident (we have vehicle inspections). My mother lives in FL and I was thinking about changing my residence to FL and my vehicles. FL does not have inspections.

Does anyone know if Virginia or California require inspections for vehicles registered out of state?
When I was stationed in FL, your vehicle had to be inspected every year, but they waived the inspection for military, if you were stationed somewhere else.
California sucks. I would go with florida, since it is only $45 every two years for registration, versus $150+ for california residents. They are also the toughest emissions state in the US.
Virginia is another bad state, you will have to pay a personal property tax on your vehicle every year, not to mention outrageous registration fees. If you live in a city area, you have to have a city sticker every year or so (which you have to pay fees for).
Go with Florida, it is your best choice.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Virginia does require state inspections, but in the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area it does not sniff check. The inspectors do look for the imissions equipment that came on that make/model/yr vehicle, if not installed: no sticker. Additionally the bases require the state inspection sticker for your vehicle to have a base sticker, I know thats true for the in state regristrations, not sure if they push the issue if its an out of state regristration that state inspection is not required.

Personal property is only required for VA residents. Those in the military only have to show the LES statement which has your home state of residence on it. Those that are in the military and have VA as a home state on the LES have to pay ALL that personnel property tax. The state was, in the process of eleminating the personel property tax, it was reduced some but still lingers on. It was based on 3.75 % of blue book value, then reduced by some 45% (I can't remember how much exactly) due to being phased out by the last governer. Now the state is in so far in the RED all the "suites" in Richmond want to keep it going for ever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.