Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
New to the forum....Recently, my 90' Ramcharger was hit by a drunk in front of my house. She hit is so hard that she pushed it 12 feet up into my neighbors yard and then ended up rolling her oldman's brand new mustang. Of course, she walked away with only a fat lip from the air bag<at least she finally got all the dirt and mud from under carriage off> She managed to miss the body all together and only catch the rear driver side tire. After getting the vehicle back I have had problems that are non-mechanical. First there is a annoying squeaking coming from the right front fender and the driver side door is sticking....also, after picking the truck up I had a buddy drive it home and I followed him in the old lady's Honda. I noticed the truck, from behind, looked as if it was driving sideways. I asked my buddy about this as he is fairly savy about mechanics, even if he is a Chevy-dork. He told me this is normal, with blazers, broncos, and ramchargers as the rear axle is shorter than the front axle. Does anyone agree with this? My ramcharger is a ex-Nevada Highway Patrol vehicle and I would hate to lose it, as it is in very good shape and has power everything....and I have already invested alot into it. Although the insurance company is working with me, it is easier to total the vehicle instead of fixing it, so if the get close to blue book on it they will more than likely total it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
619 Posts
welcome to RCC! it sounds like you might have some problems with the frame. if she hit it hard enough to push it 12 feet, chances are there was some significant bending on the frame which would cause the sticking door and squeaking fender. your Chevy friend is right about the axle lengths. the front one is just a slight bit wider to accomodate for steering. however the difference between widths is so small it would in no way make the truck look like its going sideways. take the truck to a good frame shop to see if it needs to be straightened. my guess is it will be. good luck.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
What did they do to fix it? I agree, sounds like your frame might be bent.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Your Chebby buddy is correct about the rear axle being narrower than the front axle. However the sticking door could indicate a bent frame. You can take some measurements to find out. Locate two identical points on each frame rail at the rear of the truck and two identical points at the front (Such as a hole or rivet) then measure diagonally, from the left front, to the right rear and vise-versa. You can be off an inch and be fine, but if you have two inches or more difference, your frame is bent. Since the drunk hit your rear axle, you may also want to make sure that the axle isn't damaged or shifted on the springs, or the springs had been damaged.

Ed

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree sounds like a bent frame. I would go to a reputable shop that can check and straighten a bent frame...have them check it out

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i agree with everyone else... possibly a bent frame, shifted rear axle, bent spring, or many other things. as for the door and fender thats definatley a sign of a tweaked frame especially if it wasn't like that befor the accident!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The intial damage on the truck was the rear driver side wheel pushed up into the fender well. Upon hitting my truck she bent the rear leaf spring like a question mark. As of late I had the drive shafts turned, u joints replaced, gears and diffs replaced and serviced, and the springs replaced. After getting the truck back I took it on a test run and everything mechanical<engine, tranny, transfer case> seem to be working right without any problems. That is when I noticed the squeaking comming from the right front fender, the door sticking, and the front bumper was loose. Any ideas on possible cost to fix the frame? Her insurance is covering it, so it is not the cost, I just don't want the vehicle to be totaled. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's expensive. I can't give you an exact price. It's a fairly straight forward procedure. the put it on a frame straightener (there's a few different kinds) and basically pull it back into shape. It might be cheaper on your truck, seeing as its body-over frame, rather then unibody. If you want some more concise info, I can help, I'm studying auto-body repair here in Ottawa, Canada. I can probably find a price range in CDN $$.
Hope that helps
-Geoff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts