Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 dodge M-883 1 1/4 ton truck. I am building an emergency command post with it. I will take off the bed and install a unimog radio box. It weights about 2500#. Will the frame carry it? I will custom the rear springs and get rid of the blocks,and add air bags to help with sway and such. Any ideas or comments. I am thinking of going from the 4;10s to 5;13s to help the 318 pull the load.
Best regards
Rick
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I can't help you with your question but it sounds kinda cool. That's a big radio. Good luck. Get some pics before during and after.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
the military 1 1/4 ton is equivelant to a 3/4 ton civilian truck. I think I've got roughly 3000# left on my 85's GWRV after the weight of the unloaded truck, but I can't remember for sure. I have hauled that much with it before, but it was squatting. I'd guess you'll be fine with your plan, but some serious off roading may not be the best idea.

And if I understand correctly, the military's 1 1/4 ton capacity was supposed to correlate to it's true load carrying capabilities. So you're right at that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts