Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 W150, 1990 Ramcharger
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 714 heads on our 90 model Ramcharger are trashed. I have a good set of 302 heads and was wondering if anyone had ever tried running the positive style valve seal used on the 90-92 714's on the earlier 302 casting. I mocked one up and it seems as though it MIGHT work. The outside diameter of the 302 valve guide castings are .012 smaller and .109 taller. Anybody ever try this? Thoughts?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have no idea on 714 heads, but on earlier LA Heads, the head has to be machines for positive valve seals...it is most definitely something that should be done whenever the heads are at the machine shop under almost ever circumstance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my younger years I would have tried it thinking " hey if doesn't work I'll go back and try something else" but now in my later years I guess I've learned to weigh the risk and worth against the extra work of having to do something over that I probably shouldn't have done in the first place. GOOD machine shops are getting harder and harder to find and I bought these heads ready to go, except of course no machined valve guide bosses. Oh well, I've never had an issue with stock seals on a street engine anyway so stock seals it will probably be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have decided to go with some silicone umbrella type seals I found made by engine tech. Looks like a good upgrade from stock and a good compromise between stock and machine work for positive style seals. I'm also ditching the valve rotators on the exhaust valves in the process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts