Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vague low rumble that just started after the Cali Wheeling trip ::) ;D. It's happened several times now. I get a low rumble w/ slight vibration when going up a incline mostly in 3rd and/ or overdrive at freeway speeds. though it did happn once at approx 35-40 mph. It's hard to try and reproduce, it 's not a out of balance wheel.

#1) Best case scenario is U joints. I read a thread a while back but can't seem to find it. I was underneath this AM and rattled the driveshaft- seems ok- doesn't budge anywhich way I tried it . Any paticular test? I think the outcome of the U - Joint thread was the Spicer was a preferred joint maker and get one with a zerk fitting as I recall.

#2) My suregrip is failing "somehow"- I changed the rear fluid a year ago- at that time - i noticed that one or two of the spings somehow fell/ popped out and had been turned to coffee type grounds- Now before you say AH-HA!!!!!!!! ( too late aren't I??? ;)) Lord only knows how long it had been like that- - I think it'd been several years - and I think may have the first one to change it. Since I didn't have any driveablity issues. I filled it and went on my Merry way. I changed it again about a month and half ago and the magnet was still pretty clean and used the friction additive w/ synthetic oil
I think i'll pull it again this weekend just to see if anythings changed- it's cheap to do. What is the "chatter" that I read about. the rumble happens when driving stright so far- not on turns or corners yet at least.This sound is not the "clunk".

#3) WORST CASE It my frickin tranny (46RH?or RE- have pushbutton overdrive) which had a flush, filter and bands adjusted a year ago and was thinkin of doing it again. Could one of my bands be out of adjustment? I'm not experencing any slippage and still have strong shifts.
It sound's like my noise is coming from the rear but it had to tell. It might be the trans or other componets transmitting the sound to the rear.
If it's the tranny- there was a good thread on that - upgades- RV torque converter? and a shift kit discussion? I couldn't find that either- I don't think i'm using the right keywords for the search.
i searched the links - if it's a bad tranny that needs a rebuild - Ebay seems to have two sellers that seem good, one in pheonix and one in chicago- any recommendations for rebuilders if I have to go that route??- - locally i'm not impressed with anybody- though i do have one lead now on that
I suppose i could pull a Keanu Reeves/ Speed trick and let someone pull me on a creeper on the freeway and let one you guys drive over me .....

I think I'm gonna have to take it to my Napa Auto Care- they've always done good work- Though thier labor charge is as much as a dealer- either $79 or 89 / Hr last I looked -- what do your places charge for labor ( buddy's places don't count!!!!) .
I'll get my code reader out- but i don't think it has code for tranny issues much. ???

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Could be your trans shifting slow

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
93cleanrc said:
I have a vague low rumble that just started after the Cali Wheeling trip ::) ;D. It's happened several times now. I get a low rumble w/ slight vibration when going up a incline mostly in 3rd and/ or overdrive at freeway speeds. though it did happn once at approx 35-40 mph. It's hard to try and reproduce, it 's not a out of balance wheel.

#1) Best case scenario is U joints. I read a thread a while back but can't seem to find it. I was underneath this AM and rattled the driveshaft- seems ok- doesn't budge anywhich way I tried it . Any paticular test? I think the outcome of the U - Joint thread was the Spicer was a preferred joint maker and get one with a zerk fitting as I recall.
It's difficult to just shake a driveshaft looking for slop when the truck is on it's tires. If you have the tranny in park, and it's parked even on a sligh incline, it can put just enough pressure on the drivetrain that you won't be able to just shake the driveshafts to find slop. Lift the truck's tires off of the ground, and put the tranny in neutral then shake the driveshafts again. Look at the u-joints and the slip joint as you do this. There should be no slop.

#2) My suregrip is failing "somehow"- I changed the rear fluid a year ago- at that time - i noticed that one or two of the spings somehow fell/ popped out and had been turned to coffee type grounds- Now before you say AH-HA!!!!!!!! ( too late aren't I??? ;)) Lord only knows how long it had been like that- - I think it'd been several years - and I think may have the first one to change it. Since I didn't have any driveablity issues. I filled it and went on my Merry way. I changed it again about a month and half ago and the magnet was still pretty clean and used the friction additive w/ synthetic oil
I think i'll pull it again this weekend just to see if anythings changed- it's cheap to do. What is the "chatter" that I read about. the rumble happens when driving stright so far- not on turns or corners yet at least.This sound is not the "clunk".
When a Limited Slip wears out it just becomes an open differential, the friction modifier becomes a waste of money. However you mentioned that you had metal in the diff. I would suspect that some of it got into the bearings and have been slowly eating them up. When you shake the drivetrain, look at the pinion yoke and see if it has slop. It will be hard to tell if the carrier bearings are worn or the outer bearings are worn without dissembly. One clue to the outer bearings going bad is if your leaking oil, this would indicate a bad seal, but seals can go bad if the bearings are going too..

#3) WORST CASE It my frickin tranny (46RH?or RE- have pushbutton overdrive) which had a flush, filter and bands adjusted a year ago and was thinkin of doing it again. Could one of my bands be out of adjustment? I'm not experencing any slippage and still have strong shifts.
I would suspect that if you're having a tranny problem, either a slipping band or a lock up torque converter going out, you would have a distinct smell of burned ATF when you pulled the dipstick, and you'd likely have crud in the bottom of the tranny pan.

My guess would have to go with the rear axle just because of the metal found in there.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts