Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read in a few sources I don’t have a book right in front of me but I am reading that you can get an idea of engine health by hooking up a vacuum gauge.  I think it says something like after the throttle bottle.  I was curious if anyone has done this test and what port did you hook up to? 

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hook it up anywhere on the engine side of the throttle, computor controlled engines do tend to compensate automatically for variations in engine operations. I haven't used a vacuum gauge for years and not on a computor controlled engine.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
They are very handy, at least with the old school carbed engines. Some cars/trucks even came with them. My 67 Chrysler 300 had one.

They're helpful with tuning & determining the condition of the valvetain. Older good auto manuals had a section on engine troubleshooting/diagnosis & showed how to read a vacuum gauge & what it meant.

Bucky

·
Registered
649 Posts
I put one in all my vehicles, even fuel injected.  Even on fuel injected vehicles they can give you an idea of how the engine is doing.  Plus, driving to maximize engine vacum is a great way to save on gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.