Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the carb on my 86 360. I want to remove all unnecessary vacuum/environmental control stuff that is not essential. I only want what is essential to keep the vehicle running well, A/C working, etc. Lots of the environmental stuff was tampered with before I bought it and isnt working anyway. And and there is a vacuum leak somewhere that I cant find. Advice?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
You only need vaccum to 4 things - PCV, distributor, brake booster, heater valve.  Everything else is emissions.  Now that being said, it shouldn't be too hard to fix the leak.  You could always plug the ports on the carb except for the ones mentioned, leaving the other things alone if you should want to go back.

G

·
ToxicDoc said:
You only need vaccum to 4 things - PCV, distributor, brake booster, heater valve. Everything else is emissions. Now that being said, it shouldn't be too hard to fix the leak. You could always plug the ports on the carb except for the ones mentioned, leaving the other things alone if you should want to go back.
even the Vacuum Amplifier???

Ram86360 if you spray start fuild the engine will rev up and then you know you have your vaccum leak

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Okay, also the vaccum *reservoir* for the front axle if you have a CAD axle.  Forgot that one.  The "amplifier" is an EGR item and not needed ;)

·
Registered
962 Posts
i just did this to my truck everything goes the canisters the amplifier the pump all u need is like he said up there. pcv,dist, brake booster and heat riser. everything else can be by passed and taken out or w.e.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
The list keeps growing lol. Let's review:

1. PCV
2. brake booster
3. Distributor
4. heater valve
5. Air conditioning supply
6. reservoir for CAD axle
7. heat riser is +/- depends on how it runs during cold starts.  Mine hasn't needed it to start up well.

If you convert to manual hubs, you can lock the front axle manually and cut out all the vaccum going to beneath the truck

G

·
ToxicDoc said:
Okay, also the vaccum *reservoir* for the front axle if you have a CAD axle. Forgot that one. The "amplifier" is an EGR item and not needed ;)
thanks for clearing that up ToxicDoc, but what is a CAD Axle, is that for newer trucks??

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
If you don't know, you probably DO have one.  It is Central-Axle-Disconnect.  The front axle has a locking collar that turns it on/off right at the middle.  If you look, you should see some vaccum tubing going to a motor above the middle of your front axle.  The vaccum makes the 4WD engage.  It can be manually locked (small internal mod) but then you need manual hubs to free the wheels for 2WD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts