Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Pulled the heads to repair the broken exhauset bolts. Why does My 85 have so many Vacume lines, and 2 canisters on the right inner fender?  Are all of these lines nessesary, can I do away with some of them? The air tubes where leaking not the gaskets :eek:, So I'm removing that assembly all together.
Good Part, The engine is a newer engine.  {beer} It is in great shape.

·
Registered
904 Posts
HEY! I thought you were coming out!  yeah you can do away with about 95% of that crap; you don't have to get tested; and block o0ff the EGR while you are at it; how did you (or who) got those busted bolts out?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You're in the exact same boat I was in a month or so ago.  Low miles on the engine, stupid AIR system leaking exhaust, broken exhaust bolts in the heads.

Yes, a  BUNCH of those vac lines, as well as the vacuum multiplier, can be done away with.  You'll be left with an engine that looks like an engine and parts/adjustments that are much more accessible.  It'll be obvious as you bolt things back together what you need to keep and what is now useless.  You may need to plug some vacuum ports on the carb and/or manifold.  I wound up removing the entire vacuum tree from the front of the intake and plugging the hole in the manifold; leaving one vacuum tree at the rear of the manifold for the brake booster and the cruise control.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
mine is so easy vac wise ...3 hoses lol ...oh yea beware if u got the air pump on hte lower position those bolts go into the water jacket and i had to throw my bracket back on till i get off my ass and get some short bolts and yank the braket off for good. ...i got an 82 btw ...and u may want to get headers cuz if u r like me i had the air pipe in the driver side manifold ..i have yet to get my headers on as i want a new exhaust done when i do it ...i need it loud lol ..

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
frequent question, search this board and the technical discussion board for more info.
But as they said, you won't need much.
Distributor advance, PCV, brake booster, CAD, choke pull-off (assuming stock carb), there's one that goes to the air cleaner housing (T-d with the choke pulloff) to the temp sensor then to the flapper for the stove pipe.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Donk said:
frequent question, search this board and the technical discussion board for more info.
But as they said, you won't need much.
Distributor advance, PCV, brake booster, CAD, choke pull-off (assuming stock carb), there's one that goes to the air cleaner housing (T-d with the choke pulloff) to the temp sensor then to the flapper for the stove pipe.
You might want to the hose that opens the heat riser(when so equipped) also. I left the three-port valve on my intake manifold that goes to the distributor. That way when it gets hot the advance switches from ported to full advance and speeds up the idle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts