Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped from a 318 to a 360 on my '82 RC.
the 360 block is a late 70's block, and it seems to pop every now and again on the idle, and regularly at cruising speeds loud enough to annoy me...

I disconnect the vac advance and dial my timing in perfectly without that, it runs smooth as a baby's ass... Once I put the advance back on, I gotta retard the hell out of it to keep it running... I'm talkin like almost a full quarter rotation of the dist... that's [email protected]

Did the earlier (earlier than 82) 360's not need vac advance? what is the deal if I leave my vac advance disconnected how will that affect performance? Do I need to replace my distributor to one without the advance? What's the point of vac advance anyway?

Chief

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
hey chief,

what carb do you have? does it have to vac advance ports? if so, are you hooking it to timed vac or non-timed vac?

this could make a difference

also mine is a 76 and i have vac advance

also, when oyu disconnect vac advance to time it, are you plugging the carb port that it hooks to?

i know some of these seem like simple things but ya never know

eric

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You mean that it idles right along, then as you hook the vac advance tubing up, it then runs like hell, still at idle? You then have to turn the dist as said to keep it running? Then as Eric said, you've got the tubing hooked to a constant vac signal. It needs to be zero vac at idle, and go up with RPM. Again, what carb? either you don't have the right port hooked up, or it just isn't there to begin with. That's not a huge problem by the way. It's a 20 min fix with the carb apart and off the vehicle so don't fret.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, good questions that I should have clarified. I am running a brand new edlebrock performer 650, and you are correct, we are talking at idle speeds. Now I'm aware that the right side port is emissions and the left side is non-emissions right, the middle port is my EGR. And it's actually quite astonishing that you guys mentioned this, I am running a 360 non-emission system and I'm trying to plug the vac advance into the emission side setup on the carb... hrm... I prolly aughta plug it into the correct port, non-emissions? hehehe... shit, since thats the engine setup n' all.... OKAY... heheheh.. I feel like a dumb ass posting on this crap when it's right there in front of my face... it's just cuz the old school 318 was emissions and I got set in my ways of doing things.... okay I'll try it out and let ya'll know

Jacob

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
what model of performer is that, it should have 2 vac ports up front and a pcv port

obviously vac advance will not hoo kto pcv port due to size so this is easy to figure out

next look at vac ports. one will be on the base of the carb and the other will be about 1/2 inch above base of carb. you will want to hook vac advance to the one above base, this is a timed port and will only allow vacuum after valves are opened

let us know what ya find

eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts