Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a V-12 Jaguar engine that I am concidering putting in to my RC. It already has a Chevy 400 tranny with it. I think that it puts out about 295 HP in the XJS. I think that I can squeeze some more out of it by removing the emission stuff and maybe upping the compression along with my MSD box.

I will need to add a T-case to it and maybe change the gearing in the tranny if need be. Which side of the truck is the T-case on Chevy's. If it is on the drivers side, I will need to get an adapter for it. Where might I find an adapter. I might need to lengthen/shorten the driveshafts also.

I think I am going to need some sort of computer for it. I was thinking AEM. Havn't heard too much about them, but any input would be nice.

I am pretty sure that I can get all the accessories hooked back up and functional again. It's just a matter of getting all the pullies lined up right.

This project will take a while if I do it, because this is my only vehicle for the time being. This is a daily driver and no off-roading.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You know people remove that junk to put 350 gm's in jags right

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I can show you a car right here in Wichita that I put a 350/700r4 in. It's an 85 xj6. I wouldn't even use a POS Junkuar engine as a boat anchor. It would find someway to fail and it would cost way too much $$$.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
With the V12 my concern wouldn't be as much of failure.. except in a trail situation ( cause you know nobody will be carrying spare Jag parts in thier trucks); but despite the HP #'s.. the power curve isn't where or how you'd want it, Not enough grunt for the motor to be worth a crap in a heavy 4x4.
I just recently started looking at different diesel options again.. Found a 4cyl Deere that puts out 173 HP stock.. 4.5L.. even that would be a better alternative in a RC that a Jag motor.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Stick with a Dodge motor bud. They are a helluva lot more reliable than that crap. Just because it has 4 more cylinders doesn't mean it's got more power. My old ass beaten up truck motor cranks out almost 320hp, with just a hi-po dist. and carb, and hotter plugs. Garauntee you that it would eat a Jag motor. Not trying to be a dick, but stick with Mopar bud. Trust us on this one.Everyone else will tell you the same

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Forgot to add... If you start trying to get more power out of that Jag motor, you'll most likely be doing so in an even higher rpm band. Sell the V12 and buy yourself most any Mopar engine or even drivetrain, be ready to run and durable, with better driveability as well.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
awyseguy said:
Forgot to add... If you start trying to get more power out of that Jag motor, you'll most likely be doing so in an even higher rpm band. Sell the V12 and buy yourself most any Mopar engine or even drivetrain, be ready to run and durable, with better driveability as well.
I have to agree with awyseguy here; the Jag is a high rpm type engine, I don't really agree with with you guys calling it a piece of junk, but it not a suitable engine for a 4x kind of rig.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to call it crap, just never dealt with the motor before, and anything that isn't made by Mopar or Chevy isn't really worth much in my book. Just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Lonewolfdodge said:
Sorry, didn't mean to call it crap, just never dealt with the motor before, and anything that isn't made by Mopar or Chevy isn't really worth much in my book. Just my opinion though.
No worries man - the euros have a different way of thinking about engines - high rev's, with hp and torque curves coming on in really different places, than what we 'heavy metal' Americans are use to. Many American hot rodders and 4x people don't understand. The euros make some really bad ass engines, there are just different than ours, each has it's own place.....

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
OK, Since the tranny is a Chevy 400, you could add a t-case, but it would have to be from a Chevy truck from 1988 and older. From 88 to newer, GM went to IFS and sitched the front output to the front axle from passenger side to driver side.

As to the V12 Jag. The only value that particular engine has, is it would make a great musem piece. It's a terrible engine in actual use. If you want something as exotic but much more relilable, get a Viper V10

Ed

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There you go, Viper motor should mate to a 727; There's enough room for it.. the Viper while having extra cylinders.. still isn't a high revving motor.. and.. it won't really add much, if any, weight to it

·
Registered
996 Posts
actually jag motors are good, 12's are notorious for oil leaks and lack of off line go, they perform on the top end as said. My friend here in town has 67 1/2 etype that will out run his buddies 68 vette on the highway and it's the 6.
I would definately sell the jag moder tho. Also, alot of jags problems were after ford took over - no QC -

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thanks anyways for your thoughts guys. It was just an idea. I think I will just go with a new intake, exhaust, carb, and junk the Jag engine idea.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
White88RC said:
Well thanks anyways for your thoughts guys. It was just an idea. I think I will just go with a new intake, exhaust, carb, and junk the Jag engine idea.
hey no harm in the idea, it actually aint a bad idea for a swap, but like these guys said, the trruck wouldnever perform off road, would be great for a hiway cruiser i would think though.

besides, if it werent for people out there like oyu that had these kinds of ideas, alot of vehicles wouldn never have been developed

eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts