Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am half way through a complete suspension rebuilt on my 92 2wd canyon sport. Just did get done pressing all the bushings out of the control arms. The Urethane bushing that I have do not have the shells and I was told I would have to use the old ones. Fine. The lower control arm bushings are a piece of cake but the uppers are tough.

How do you take the upper arm bushing shells apart? Do they come apart? The center shells have caps on both ends and doesn't appear to be two pieces. Think thread bobbin shape. Any ideas?I have a new set of rubber bushings if i cant make this work.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BOGGER35 said:
the uppers just look that way / press them out and you,ll see what l mean
Thanks for the reply but I already have the bushings pressed out. Whats with that reinforcing collar on one bushing per arm anyway? I need to know how to get the shells off of the bushings so i can use my urethane bushings with the old shells. The urethane bushings for the control arm that I have didn't come with the metal shells.

G

·
trojmn said:
BOGGER35 said:
the uppers just look that way / press them out and you,ll see what l mean
Thanks for the reply but I already have the bushings pressed out. Whats with that reinforcing collar on one bushing per arm anyway? I need to know how to get the shells off of the bushings so i can use my urethane bushings with the old shells. The urethane bushings for the control arm that I have didn't come with the metal shells.
Some sort of fire comes to mind. That usually seperates the rubber from the metal.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those in suspense..... The upper control arm bushing shells are actually three pieces. The inner shell (were the bolt goes through) is two pieces fused together by 14 year old rubber, rust, and compression from the mounting bolt. Even the new rubber bushings with shells are REALLY on there. Stick it in a vice *TIGHT* and the end button will twist off. In retrospect the best thing would have been to press out the inner shells and rubber after removing the end cap 'button'. Which would leave the outer shell in the arms and you could then might be able to reassemble with the new bushing. There is a supporting collar around the bushing on the long arm of the 'A'. It does come off eventually and is usually siezed onto the outer bushing shell and is need to be put back. This collar makes it REAL hard to press out the entire bushing shell and all. Leave it alone if you can.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have never done it, but I have read that the easiest way is to burn out the rubber with a blowtorch or something (have plenty of ventillation), clean the inside of the shell, and lube the urethane bushing and put it in.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Heat the outside shell and push it out with a washer that you will grind down to just fit inside of the outershell, use the washer on the end of a punch and hit it through after melting the bond to the outer shell with some heat on the outer shell, hey have a nice day it gets stinky from here on out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts