Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a source for the upper trim retainer for a 78 pickup? I know lmc has them for a 80s but they aren't the same from what I've found.

If not, are their other options for attaching the moldings?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
I did A LOT of digging in to this a year or two ago and the short answer is yer SOL.

The thing that I ended doing was going back to my secret stash boneyard that has a bunch of mid / late 70 Dodges and grabbing every upper clip I could get my hands on. The good news here is that the clips are pretty sturdy and can be re-used. Yeah, I know how many of these things ya find in boneyards these days.

The biggest after market clip maker is a company named Auveco and back in the 70s they may have been the OEM supplier. I've found PN crosses between ChryCo and Auveco but all the stuff is disco and history.
https://www.auveco.com/moulding-clips-retainers

www.car-pak.com is another huge supplier but thier web site sucks. You have to download the pdf catalog then dig through it to find out its no help.

Mr. G's Fasteners caries a lot of stuff and some of it is listed by the ChryCo number but they don't have any thing for the upper moulding.
www.mrgusa.com

AutoFastCo listed the Auveco replacement on their site. When I went to order it they said disco and history and updated their page.
https://www.autofastco.net/Dodge-Chrysler.html

The ugly option is drill holes in your fresh paint and use something generic like this:
http://www.hillcofasteners.com/prod/Universal-Moulding-Clip-with-1024x34-Stud-516-Wide-x-34-Long-Plate-Replaces-Chrysler-1624705-6010093__AV02744.aspx

Another ugly option is randomly buy what ya can find that has the same advertised dimensions and keep trying until you find something that fits. One example that comes to mind is the clips for the vinyl top moulding on late 70s Mopars. If ya put it next to the truck clip, ya can barely tell them apart but the car clip doesn't work - it's a hair too narrow and doesn't grab the moulding.

A thing that's been done with the clips for the wider lower moulding: take the best used one you have and find somebody with a 3D printer and have them make some. It will take some trial and error but it could work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and all the good info .

I wouldn't be opposed to drilling holes for the bolt type clips but I dont think you can really get up behind the panel to attach the nut.

I was thinking about filling in the void on the backside of the molding and using 2 sided tape.

·
Registered
232 Posts
T
harryhood said:
Those don't fit, they aren't even close to the correct size.
They measure exactly the same as the upper trim molding on my son's 1976.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What are the measurements for the clips you need?

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do you have a close up picture of a clip?

·
Registered
232 Posts
RWG75 said:
Picture the clip in the last ebay link - only a hair smaller. 80/down trim was narrower than 81/up.
Like 1/4" narrower. Never seen them that small. Learned something today.

Harry, have you considered using 3M two sided tape to attach the trim molding? I know it's not the 100% correct solution but I used some on the 4" wide lower trim molding and it is holding perfect. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Broncowilly said:
Like 1/4" narrower. Never seen them that small. Learned something today.

Harry, have you considered using 3M two sided tape to attach the trim molding? I know it's not the 100% correct solution but I used some on the 4" wide lower trim molding and it is holding perfect. Just trying to help.
Yes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.