Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 RC with a 91.5 IC 12v, I'm looking to see if anyone has used this aftermarket fan with a similar setup?

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/dodge-ram-cummins-replacement-cooling-fan-fan9402/fan-clutch

It says it sits closer to the engine and requires a spacer, I've got roughly 3" of clearance from the rad to the fan currently. Just curious if this will work? Another plus is that this reduced fan size to 20" (while pulling 39% more CFM) and is compatible with the aftermarket fan shrouds that are readily available vice the unubtanium (either price or availability) OEM shroud.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The last line of the product description says it is not for a 89-93... It might work for you though. Are you using a 91-93 intercooled core support, radiator and shroud?

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
I haven't used this fan, but seen similar ones before. Looks like the ones I've seen as used on commercial trucks.

It's a tough call. I can't tell by the picture if it's going to work for you or not. The hub has to fit the clutch fan and you have clearance to consider between the fan and rad, as well as the fan and engine.

The only solutions I can offer is,
one; Buy the fan knowing that if you can't get it to work, you'll have to return it,
two; keep hunting for a factory fan,
or three; consider an electric fan.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
if your Cummins conversion came complete with the Cummins radiator, shroud and clutch fan then there should be more than enough cooling capability for the truck - my point being the factory hardware is more than enough for very heavy towing.  But if the conversion did not have all of the factory Cummins hardware then yah you might need a stronger fan {2cents}

- Sam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's converted with a 91.5 IC but the fan shroud has been gone for a bit, with it being pretty damn hot here in the low desert I'm trying to gain effective/efficient cooling for the engine. I even gave my clearance spec's to the guys at GENO's and they said it should work but haven't installed and measured to be official. Being it's made for 2nd Gen trucks I was curious as to the differences in clearance from fan to rad on those trucks vice the 1stgen setups.

it's good for daily driving around town, but long hauls between Yuma and 29 palms have me paying more attention to the temp gauge than the road!

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
well...the fan shroud will make a ton of difference - if it were me I'd source/install a factory stock shroud, and I'd wager your cooling issues will disappear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.