Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for those that remember and those who helped.

I put the rear on jackstands and put it in gear. Still had the vibration (see below for when it comes)....rules out the front end. Thanks to Slanted Mind for this suggestion as well as all the time he spent helping me.

I found a new "lifetime" u-joint that was bad. That helped.

The Ram Charger Man mentioned to check rear brakes. I did. The drums were way out of round. I had them turned today and put new shoes on and adjusted them correctly. Much better.

Now, the only vibration I get is when it goes into second. The minute it drops into second the truck vibrates. I can shift into 1st and the vibration goes away. Shift back into second and it comes back. The vibration goes away after I get some speed up or when it shifts into 3rd. If I hammer on it from a dead stop, the vibration isn't real noticeable as it goes through second.

FWIW, I have checked the flex plate bolts-they're tight, and looked at the tranny/motor mounts. They seem tight. Is there a certain way to check the tranny mount? I have been under the truck and had my wife put it in gear and I don't see anything twist or move.

BTW, by vibrate, I mean it shakes so much that I can see the steering wheel shake.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Seems like it mnight be an internal problem in the tranny ..... maybe the clutch pack is done for 2nd gear and just slipping bad ...still wouldn't explain why it is vibrating that bad ....

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that's what I'm afraid of.

I really want to sell that little Rodeo and use this as my daily driver for a while till I find a good deal on a van or a pick up with a Cummins.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Did that have a lock up on the tranny-I don't remember if you said it did or not. I know you can get torque convertor shudder real bad on these.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Also check the entire edge of the flex plate. When mine broke a few small chunks came off and there was some cracking. Rotate it around and make sure it's all good.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
cooper30 said:
Is there a certain way to check the tranny mount? I have been under the truck and had my wife put it in gear and I don't see anything twist or move.
Just as you checked the engine mounts. Have a helper put it in gear...and go from idle to power braking slowly(just load it up, don't start burning tires ;D ) Watch how much the engine and tranny move carefully. Good mounts will not allow a whole lot of movement. "Whole lot" is a relative term of course. Lets say when the engine moves...it should also be compressing the passenger front suspension (some) at the same time.

When watching the tranny mount, as the engine becomes loaded up from power-braking, watch for ANY side to side or up and down motion of the tranny tailshaft. It should be almost stationary, but will twist slightly.

Need I say do no lay under the rig while it is in gear and power-braking :eek: You should be able to see everything from the ground on the side of thr rig...

Now--after all that, you have checked the tranny fluid, right? ;D If it only happens in second gear, and not at a specific rpm range or speed, the problem is probably inside the trans as already said; but it never hurts to check everything...

-SM

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, tranny fluid is good. :) When we did it, she didn't power brake, sh ejust put it in gear. I'll have her do that tonight. Thanks!!!

I'll go over the flex plate carefully. Thanks

No lock up converter on this tranny.

Thanks guys!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
cooper30 said:
When we did it, she didn't power brake, sh ejust put it in gear. I'll have her do that tonight. Thanks!!!
Just make sure you are extra nice to her tonight...don't want to piss off a person that can retaliate with 2 tons 'o steel :eek: ;D

-SM

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, you got that right!! ;D

Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts