Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanksgiving was at my sister's house 100 miles away so I checked the weather forcast and it was supposed to snow so I took my 94 ram 2500 CTD,because its 4wd and has good tires.It was clear and dry on the way up, but it started  raining there when it was time to head home but not 10 miles away it was 6" of wet heavy slush and it was coming down hard to effectively make it white out conditions.Sometimes snow would stick to wipers and smear across the windshield until it fell off.Pretty soon I realized 2wd wasn't an option so I dropped it down into 4hi and went about my merry way at 35-40 mph.It wasn't long until I came across a bunch of cars in the ditch.The cops were already there  so I put my hazards on and parked next to the first car in the ditch.Asked the driver if they were ok and if their car was still driveable.Yes on both counts so I offered to pull them out which they graciously accepted.I had them hook up to their car and I told them to put the car in drive but dont try to use the throttle to get out. Even pulling a car out a ditch in 6" of slush I had no problems at all thanks to the traction of the new BFG all terrains(I dont get money from them,they are a great tire with alot more traction than the older KO's).Eventually, I made my way down the line and all said and done I pulled out 5 other cars.I didnt even tell them my name let alone ask for money.I just helped them out  because I believe thats what we were put on this earth for.

Granted, I wish I didn't have to pull them out in the first place, but I'll gladly do it anyway.Heck even the cops/emts on the scene thanked me.

So how many of you so similar things?

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
It doesn't snow here….

Ed

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
Ha ha it doesn't snow here.  ;D

been there done that many times. heck back in 1984 I had a 64 scout and used it to pull people up a hill in town. people would throw me a $5- or a $10 spot. I made 1/2 my paycheck in one night because of fools in Corvettes, rustangs, camaros.  ;D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ive helped pull a few people out before. If they aint to far off the road. Never got paid though, also never asked or expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'll bet you made a lot of people happy, especially on Thanksgiving.  Never pulled more than one out.  I have been the receiver of benevolence several times as well.  Good job by you!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
In this part of Texas I'm more likely to pull somebody from the mud than snow/ice, though my W600 is better equipped for the latter.

In my life I have pushed more stalled vehicles out of the street than pulled them out of ditches. I once had my own 67 Chrysler 300 vapor lock at an intersection. A chubby 9th grader walking home from school helped me push it through the intersection. After that I vowed to help push stalled cars to safety if I was able to do so.

Bucky

·
Registered
120 Posts
Related I suppose..was in the dunes with my Bronco II when I encountered some really deep sugar sand that I could not get through..I was not there long enough to drink a beer when one of the local fishermen in his 2000ish Dodge half ton short bed backed right across the sugar sand, I stepped out and hooked us up...he took off snatched us out and was gone with a wave...not a word..lol..I saw him quite a bit after that..he had the entire hood covered in terry cloth so his chick could lay up there and sunbathe while he fished...I have seen him cross some really deep holes out at the cut..I spect the salt water has eaten it completely by now..cool dude and a badass truck.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Great stories fellas,

Unfortunately we get snow here, but usually its more the not thinking types that you have to deal with in Ohio. Pulled a guy out my dad worked with who drove a new 2016 dodge caravan for a transport company down into a yard. Lets just say as soon as he got off the gravel he started to sink. Must have panicked as he kept going farther and farther down the yard away from the dry ground and towards the creek. When he finally did stop on flat land where the majority of the water lays, he rested on the sub frame after spinning until he couldn't see mud flying anymore. Dad got stuck in the 2wd silverado trying to pull him out as well. Posi just sunk him with grease for grass. So had to come pull them both out with the log chain. First thing I asked was "Does the lady who lives here care about her yard?", "No", "I'll get you out."

Pulled out the silverado barely touching the gas. The van on the other hand, peeled about 3 inches of topsoil off and had my truck, left arm, and the company's van covered in mud. Mt's work best when they are spinning ;D

Neil

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
When I lived in the mountains, I pulled people out all the time. However, I got to the point where if they were dumb enough to bring a 2wd car or truck into the mountains in winter and got stuck, I passed on by.

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
Had one slide in to my driveway - off the banked street. Got stuck on the icy packed snow. Boyfriend came to the rescue with his early s10 blazer and a tow strap that must have been 40 feet long. Got up the hill, turned left, dragged her grinder in to the drainage ditch. I managed to stop him before he got it really wedged in there and convinced him to pull in the other direction.

·
7,250 Posts
I've pulled a few people from the ditch over the years and have been "tipped" a few times but never expect it unless they are clearly idiots who deserved to be there, for example, someone in a 2wd/rear wheel drive in deep snowy streets and should have stayed home. Those special people got charged. I won't hook the strap to anyone's vehicle either. They do it themselves or they can stay in the ditch.

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
wycowboy said:
I've pulled a few people from the ditch over the years and have been "tipped" a few times but never expect it unless they are clearly idiots who deserved to be there, for example, someone in a 2wd/rear wheel drive in deep snowy streets and should have stayed home. Those special people got charged. I won't hook the strap to anyone's vehicle either. They do it themselves or they can stay in the ditch.

Chris
I do the same thing. They hook it up to their vehicle. Obviously, I do make sure they hook it with common sense in a spot thats not going to endanger anyone or my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Back about '09 or so, we had a pretty nasty ice storm here. 1/2 an inch of ice with snow on top. Straight back from my drive is a short road. Everybody was helping everybody else. I still had "Black Betty" as the 400,000 miles hadn't done her in yet. Somebody with an H2 Hummer with the huge wheels and skinny rubber slide off in a ditch. I handed him the tow strap and told him to hook it on his chromed out tow hooks on the front. He didn't want to scratch them up. He also didn't want to turn his wheels to get out of the ditch as he didn't want to mess the 4 wheel system up. I was ready to pull strap and leave when we (most of the neighborhood had shown up by then) finally got him out. He then griped about how long it took. As I was leaving, I saw him start to slide into the ditch again. I didn't stop that time.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Last Friday, a trucker with a 53' trailer was hung up on a patch of ice at the shop. He was rather foolish to have tried to turn around where he did. He got off the gravel drive and tore up the yard nicely, and managed to get the tractor's rear wheels back up on the gravel base of the drive. I got him out with my 02' Chevy Blazer with ease! I just rebuilt the front axle in the Blazer, and had no intention of tearing it up, so I went easy. The semi was loaded with 28,000 pounds of materials, but I hooked to the back of the tractor and was only pulling on that. I remembered my days of being stuck, and getting out with no money to pay, this was "on the house", lol!

Then yesterday, during a huge snow storm, the wife wanted to go to the store during the Chief's game, at half time. No problem with my Blazer. Stuck car barley off the road, I offered to help push the stranded motorists out, but was too slick. I again, pulled them out with the Blazer. The motorists were a young couple with a new born child in the back car seat. I don't charge for children, lol! I carry a new yellow tow rope in my Blazer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I myself have pulled and pushed people and never asked for anything as I have been there myself. It's just being neighborly in my part of the woods although some people can't help someone without getting paid rude right. That being said I have also just waved and kept on going to jackass that want to run 70 mph pass everyone then spinout and ditch their car when it's snowing to beat the band and we are all doing 45 I figure if they want to be that stupid they can call a tow truck.

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
We has a few inches of snow a few days ago so I had the usual fwd stuck in my front yard and another one stuck in the street behind it. An excavation contractor around the corner has some driveway plowing contracts down my street and stopped to be neighborly on his way home. His plan to get one out of the way started with plowing 1/2 way down my drive to give the guy a place to pull off the street. Left that pile of snow in the middle of my driveway and of course that car got stuck in my driveway. The real circus started when the township cop showed up to investigate the "accident". Car B tapped car A and each had maybe a 2" scratch. He parked his cruiser in the middle of everything and brought the entire process to a halt. The cop mostly wanted contact info for his report and to get the hell out of there. His other primary focus seemed to be selling the services of the tow company "working with the township" that night.

After we got him out of the way, the contractor with the plow tried putting salt down to get car B outta my driveway. While him and the drivers of the stuck cars where trying to push the thing up hill I just had to inquire if maybe he had a tow strap in the back of his truck. Oddly enough he did and we got car B on it's way. Dunno how using the strap to get car A on it's way didn't happen but he ended up sitting there for 2 hours until his tow company showed up. By that time sitting there with the engine off and the emergency flashers on had killed his battery.

My driveway gets icey in the winter but my 4wds and the girls fwd can deal. Yesterday an amazon package got delivered by one of their private contractors. Google it - apparently it's kinda like the Uber model. Anybody with a vehicle and a smart phone can sign up to deliver packages for them in areas near a distribution center. This guy was driving some kinda rwd gmc van with lousy tires and was not getting back up the hill. Noticed him floundering when I went out to walk the dog. Tried to direct him on how to get his tail on one of the not icey spots and hop between them but that was a fail and he keep sliding his tail in to the yard while trying to back up the hill.

Briefly considered jumping behind the wheel of his van and doing it myself but went with option B. Told the guy all I could do for him was use my snow plow to push him out and he was down with that. Good news here is an actual metal front bumper on the van. Bad news here is that it was stuck right in front of my truck. Did a 10 point turn to get positioned in front of him but every time I got him moving, he'd hit the gas and slide in to the lawn. Finally told the guy to leave it in neutral and just let me plow him up to the street.

I think it's well past time to spend the 30 bucks for a tow strap and start charging 10 or 20 per head when I need to clear my driveway.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
what is real fun , is watching people tear up all kinds of expensive stuff to get unstuck from stuff that goes away on its own , happens every year .  yep ice w/out show cover bad , drive on snow cover , good ... LOL

·
Super Moderator
2,154 Posts
So 2 storms and nothing stuck in my yard and I'm shocked.

Went out in the middle of one them in my RC because I couldn't stay in the house. Roads weren't terrible but couldn't see 10 feet past the hood. Did 10 mile loop on roads I know and almost drove off them a couple times. A little shit box is coming up behind so I slip over and let him run.

A mile down the road, at the S turn right before my driveway this clown went straight. His fwd roller skate was in snow covered wet turf. If I had a strap, 5 minutes to yank him straight back for $50 and good luck down the hill. I haven't bought the strap so rolled past. If I done it, at least I could have backed out.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
In the over 45 years I've had my truck I've pulled many people out of situations... even snow a couple of times.
Once on the "Summit of the Alcan" on our honeymoon trip to Alaska in June '76. Yes it was snowing there in June.
The first time I pulled anyone out it was in the mud.
My truck was just a month old... February 1974. My fellow motocross racing friend (way younger than me) was going to race the Mini Nationals at Indian Dunes Motocross track north of Los Angeles. Back history... Before I got my truck I had a Honda XR-75 and I was 18. I wanted to race really bad. My parents discouraged me. So if I was going to do this, I needed to pay for everything for myself. Honda's XR-75 was the first bike Honda sold with number plates! I paid cash for it, and raced it in the 14 and older Mini Class...

Well I wasn't going to race the Mini Nationals because of my age. So I went along with my friends and his parents to help pit.
It's a good thing I took my truck. A huge winter storm rolled in the early evening we drove in. As we headed north the I-5 out of L.A., road closed signs ahead were everywhere. We turned off the 5 on the 126 towards Ventura just before they shutdown the Grapevine because of snow.
That night it rained buckets. They tried to run the race the next day. What a mess that was.
We hung around for the next day. That early evening somebody came wandering in the pit area and seeing my truck asked if they could get help getting unstuck. We went out across the highway and there was this Chevy truck stuck up to the fenders in a soggy farm field. I pulled out my brand new tow strap and made him hook it up and dig some out behind the tires. My truck worked great. Although it got a very muddy baptism. They cancelled the race the last day. When I got home, I ran a Rainbird sprinkler under it for a couple of hours to help get all the muck off.
To this day, when I drive by that little field, I remember that muddy pull out.

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
In the over 45 years I've had my truck I've pulled many people out of situations... even snow a couple of times.
Once on the "Summit of the Alcan" on our honeymoon trip to Alaska in June '76. Yes it was snowing there in June.
The first time I pulled anyone out it was in the mud.
My truck was just a month old... February 1974. My fellow motocross racing friend (way younger than me) was going to race the Mini Nationals at Indian Dunes Motocross track north of Los Angeles. Back history... Before I got my truck I had a Honda XR-75 and I was 18. I wanted to race really bad. My parents discouraged me. So if I was going to do this, I needed to pay for everything for myself. Honda's XR-75 was the first bike Honda sold with number plates! I paid cash for it, and raced it in the 14 and older Mini Class...

Well I wasn't going to race the Mini Nationals because of my age. So I went along with my friends and his parents to help pit.
It's a good thing I took my truck. A huge winter storm rolled in the early evening we drove in. As we headed north the I-5 out of L.A., road closed signs ahead were everywhere. We turned off the 5 on the 126 towards Ventura just before they shutdown the Grapevine because of snow.
That night it rained buckets. They tried to run the race the next day. What a mess that was.
We hung around for the next day. That early evening somebody came wandering in the pit area and seeing my truck asked if they could get help getting unstuck. We went out across the highway and there was this Chevy truck stuck up to the fenders in a soggy farm field. I pulled out my brand new tow strap and made him hook it up and dig some out behind the tires. My truck worked great. Although it got a very muddy baptism. They cancelled the race the last day. When I got home, I ran a Rainbird sprinkler under it for a couple of hours to help get all the muck off.
To this day, when I drive by that little field, I remember that muddy pull out.
love stories like this! ;D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.