Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unhooked the radio in my 88 w150 and hooked it back up didn't do anything to it and it smoked for a second now my gauge fuse blows everytime i turn the truck on so no speedometer. what could be behind the radio to blow this fuse. I have to drive the truck tommorow so i really need to fix the speedo

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,130 Posts
How did you "unhook" the stereo? Did you cut any wires? Is it an aftermarket head unit? Did the stereo get wet? Are the pins inside the plug strait and not bent or broken? Power is obviously jumping across to another circuit. So you can use your truck tomorrow, just replace the blown fuses and leave the stereo out for now until you find the problem

Attachments

G

·
I would get a wiring diagram for that radio if it's an aftermarker replacement to identify the color of the wire that carries the primary power to the radio. There is possibly an additional wire that supplies power to the memory circuit, that keeps all of the preset channels from zeroing out.. when the main power to the radio is turned off..

With the truck engine off and all power off... Ignition key "out"...    I would examine that power wire see the color per the schematic..
from where it exits the radio back to the (Plug) and also on the other side of that plug for any of the wire coating cut or ripped off... If that wire is exposed and it then becomes hot with power and touching metal.... it will likely short or ground out blowing a fuse.

If you are at all unsure about your ability to get inside a bunch of wires, espically  if they are packed in and difficult to navigate.. If you've never had any experience...  I would take it to a stereo installation shop..they are accustomed to trouble shooting...  Also...if there is no bare wire / shorting out...evident there is also the possibility that there could be a burned out component inside the radio itself from the initial short that occurred..  Often it's cheaper to replace the stereo.  I doubt that anyone repairs those things anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.