Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped up on FB this morning - $100 / offer, as is and only an hour away:

I've always used a basic timing light, vacuum gauge and clip on tach. As in this thing won't tell me anything I can't already figure out while only taking up as much room as a tool cabinet. The best explanation I have for wanting to scoop it up is this:

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
The scope will tell you have much volts each cylinder is taking to fire. Can easily tell you of a bad plug, wire, cap, rotor, coil, and more.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True but not sure that justifys the floor space lost. Moving a timing light from cylinder to cylinder will at least tell you which one isn’t firing.

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
That thing is small. This is the one we had at the old Dodge dealership:

It was really good for diagnosing older electronic and points ignition systems. We also had a Champion spark plug cleaner that would sand blast the plugs one by one, lol.

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
I miss the scope, but the one I had was much smaller. I do have a portable Snapon one, but now with all mine using HEI dizzys, it still does not help.

True but not sure that justifys the floor space lost. Moving a timing light from cylinder to cylinder will at least tell you which one isn’t firing.
But think of the cool factor. LOL.

·
Registered
72 Posts

It was really good for diagnosing older electronic and points ignition systems. We also had a Champion spark plug cleaner that would sand blast the plugs one by one, lol.
at 28 i'm too young to know that that is but it looks wild as hell. some kind of science fiction star trek device lol, super cool.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I would love to have that, especially if someone showed me how to use it.

Bucky

·
Registered
28,618 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But think of the cool factor. LOL.
I mean that’s the big sell feature - unless the exhaust sniffer actually works but what are the odds of that.

There’s a shop in town that started life as a Chevy dealership in the 70s. They had the jumbo version mounted on a overhead trolly down the center of the building to make it easier to move bay to bay.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
at 28 i'm too young to know that that is but it looks wild as hell.
Might have something to do with them going obsolete 35-40 years ago. Back in the day they were about as common as a OBDC scanner.

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
Might have something to do with them going obsolete 35-40 years ago. Back in the day they were about as common as a OBDC scanner.
And people complain about the price of the obdc scanners.

I had one like this, the only functions I used was the scope, and the timing light. The modules on the sides could be removed, one was an exhaust analyzer, you could run it in the car while driving. I do not recall if I ever tried using it.That was back about 95. I Gave it away during one of my moves.

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Registered
1988 Ramcharger W150, 318, 4-speed; 2008 Sebring Convertible; 2015 Challenger Shaker SCATPack 392 A8
37 Posts

There is one of these in the basement at my Mom's, belongs to my step-dad, it might be for sale. Thing still works, I don't know how to use it but it does. Chattanooga, TN area if anyone happens to be interested, I can get more information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts