Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey again everybody...

last night when i tried to start up my 89 RC, it just wouldn't start. I hear the starter cranking away, my lights are all on and running fine, but it won't turn over. I tried jumping it just in case the battery was running a little low, it turned over but immediately died. Since, I haven't been able to even get it to turn over again...

I'm guessing this is an alternator problem, but i wanted to be sure before i go plop down the cash and put in a new one. the only other thing i can think of would be the fuel pump, but i just don't think that's it. If it helps any, I had noticed that the truck was taking a little longer to crank on in the past few weeks. thanks in advance.

nnnick

·
Registered
104 Posts
your saying the engine will crank but not start? if it cranks see if you have spark out of the coil wire and getting gas and go from there before you plop the dead presidents on the alternator

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, there are the leading suspects:
Fire to the plugs ? - ballast resistor or ignition switch, cap and rotor,...
Plugged fuel filter ?

If you've got enough battery power to spin it over and over, there is no reason to suspect the alternator. It has nothing to do with starting, other than keeping the battery charged so that you have power to spin the starter...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
LOL, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but why is it that with a crank-no start problem, so many people automatically think it's the alternator? ??? Since an '89 has no ballast resistor, I would think a fuel problem as prime suspect, or possibly a burned fuse link. Check to see if you're getting codes from it. A burned fuse link should set a code 42 because the auto shutdown relay can't kick on (which would cause a no fuel/no spark condition). Put your ear to the bed floor right in the middle and have someone click the key to run. You should be able to hear the fuel pump buzz for about 2 seconds, then shut off. If you do, it may be a clogged fuel filter or crimped line. If not, it is probably the ASD relay or the fuse link. Let us know..

Matt {peace}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts