Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the Moog and Spicer part numbers for an 86 RC rear drive shaft at trans and rear?
In fact if anyone knows all the u joint numbers and location that would be great.
I was thinking if so, it would be a good sticky.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The smallish Dodge/Detroit 7260 series ujoint seems to be especially common...

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Damn near all 1/2 tons and most light duty 3/4 tons use the same 7260 joint in both positions of the rear shaft and at the axle in the front shaft.  Only the CV is different.  The actual joint part number can sometimes vary due to it being grease-able or not or what type of grease fitting it comes with. 

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After bringing the old joint to two part stores, one of them had what I needed.
FYI, I got a MOOG #246, from advance. It's beefy and greasable.
UM, what's the tq spec of the bearing caps? I'm guessing 80 ftlbs wasn't it, cause I broke a head off.
I think it's 40.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moog 315 G, is listed as replacement as well. I think that one has a smaller body than the 246.
The 246 is listed as heavy duty..I dunno, cost 25 bucks a piece though.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Moog, Precision and others use the same part numbers.  The 315G is a grease-able version of the 315, both are 7260 series joints as well as the 317 and 832M, though I do not think you will not find the 832M on a Mopar.  The 246 is also a 7260 series, usually marketed as a "Super Strength" version of the 315 or 315G, though it typically pales in comparison to the strength of the Spicer non-grease-able joint.  The grease passages in the cross will always make for a weaker joint, which is why almost all stock joints are non-grease-able these days.

The strap bolt torque should be 170 - 200 inch pounds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My factory manual says 170 INCH pounds, or about 14ftlbs. 

I just make them kinda snug.  too tight will warp the cap....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep moog 246 super strength, bearing cap greaseable.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.