Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for more info on the Twin Falls area, may be in negotiations for a job position there soon,

any help would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the job being considered is at cycle therapy, bicycle shop, twin falls ID, some things for me to consider are

weather, general conditions, winter, storms, and the such,

health care, local hospital have nicu, or decent pediatric unit? places for blood work and rheumatology? (for the wife and son)

general cost of living, rent milk and the such, (as I have poor credit or worse purchasing is not an option.)

storage, work space for the truck/ parts, and a 71 nova

and the like.

have to figure out how much I would need to make to live there, also might need to look into private health care for the wife and child, then present the numbers to the potential employer and see what we could work out.

again thanks for the help

Mike

·
Premium Member
17,422 Posts
Ok, lets see what I can answer for you. Lived in and around the area for the past 20 years or so.

Mike Barf said:
the job being considered is at cycle therapy, bicycle shop, twin falls ID,
Pretty nice place. Haven't ever actually bought anything from in there, but definitely some nice stuff. Real easy to get to from about anywhere in town as well.

General weather is: Summer: 80-90 during the day, 40-50 at night. Winter: 20-40 during day, 15-30 at night. Modest snowfall. Usually will get 3-5 inches and it is gone in a few days. There is always the chance it could really dump snow on you though.

It is a mountain desert area. So, low humidity. Lots of wind at times and quite a bit of dust. The "dirt" in the area is more of a really fine grained sandy/silty like stuff. So, it tends to blow all over at the slightest breeze.

Winter I covered in previous post

Overall not a ton of storms. Usually, if it is going to rain you will get about a 10-20 minute downpour, then it clears right up. Occasionally we will get a storm front that comes through and has scattered light showers for a few days. But that is the exception.

health care, local hospital have nicu, or decent pediatric unit? places for blood work and rheumatology? (for the wife and son)
St. Lukes just built a monster sized new hospital that opened last year. Has ER, CCU, ICU, NICU, Peds, Med-Surg, full laboratory capabilities, it is the only hospital in area with life flight capabilities. Next closest is Boise, followed by Salt Lake City Utah. Salt Lake also has one of the US's largest and most capable pediatric specialty units if it is needed. They are only a few hours away. However, for most things short of life and death, the hospital in Twin Falls will have the capabilities to handle it. A good portion of the Dr's in the area are also affiliated with the hospital and have offices either on the same property or within a mile of it.

general cost of living, rent milk and the such, (as I have poor credit or worse purchasing is not an option.)
General median cost of living is between $30-40k/year. Rent, in Twin Falls, you can figure approximately $200-400 per bedroom. So, a 3bdr house will rent from $600-1,000 depending on area of city. The good news is Twin Falls is surrounded by several smaller cities (within 2-10 miles) and the average rent is about 1/2-2/3 of rent in Twin Falls proper. Jerome, where I live right now average rent is about $350-700 for that same 3bdr house. Kimberly, which is actually almost attached to Twin Falls is abut the same as Jerome.

Milk, since you specified that, is $2.50 a gallon for 2%. At least that is what I pay for a gallon two to three times a week. Gas today was $3.29/gallon for 85 octane unleaded. For our family of 7 we average about $500-700 a month on groceries.

Lots of storage facilities in the area. Can't help on price of those.

work space for the truck/ parts, and a 71 nova
Most houses you will look at in the area will have private driveways. A good portion also have garages or other covered type area. Not to many people should bother you about working on your own vehicles. I think in 20 years I might have been talked to about it 3 times.

have to figure out how much I would need to make to live there, also might need to look into private health care for the wife and child, then present the numbers to the potential employer and see what we could work out.
Fully understand that.

Other things to consider. There are several off road areas, camping areas, hunting, fishing, hiking, mountains, lakes, etc. all within anywhere from 30 minutes to 1-2 hours drive. If you like any of that stuff, it is really hard to beat southern Idaho for what is offered.

Also, depending on where you are moving from, be prepared for the culture shock of having 80% of the state being public lands. Only Alaska has more natural wilderness area than Idaho amongst the US.

For the most part there are two major populations. Cattle ranchers and produce farmers. That will be the majority of people you meet everyday. So, overall it is a "live and let live" kind of place with not a lot of everybody trying to force themselves into your business.

Depending on what your position would be at the bike shop, you could almost count on being busier than you may want to be. In the spring/summer/fall it is all hiking and biking for a large part of the population. In winter it is all snow machines.

Overall, you could do a whole lot worse for places to move to.

Hope that helped out some.

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that helps a lot, thanks

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts