Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
26,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this with the sole reference of the 1981-1984 wiring diagram in my Haynes manual. Please let me know of any corrections that need to be made.

Locate and disconnect the steering column connector. This connector has the wiring for the horn, emergency flashers and turn signal. It is seperate from the ignition switch. This should not require any major disassembly of the steering column (unless the switch is bad...)

Once you have it disconnected, look over the wiring. On the column side of the connector, the wire colors should be, from one end to the other:
1) White
2) Dark Green
3) Yellow w/Black stripe
4) Red
5) Dark Blue
6) Light Green
7) Yellow? Could be Grey? My manual on this one has YG as the color code...
8) Dark Green w/White Stripe.

The corresponding function (signal) of each wire is:
1) Stop Lamp. Input voltage from the brake light switch on the brake pedal.
2) Right Rear brake/signal light.
3) Left Rear brake/signal light.
4) Turn signal flasher from fuse box.
5) Hazard Flasher input from fuse box.
6) Right Front signal light.
7) Left Front signal light.
8) Horn ground from horn switch.

Testing is pretty straight forward. Pay close attention to the switch positions when testing. I use a MultiMeter set up for testing Ohms or Continuity. On my meter the Continuity check has a beeper so I prefer that setting. Meters vary greatly so I won't go into any more detail than that.

Horn: Ground one of the test leads. Connect the other lead to pin 8, there should be continuity when the horn button is pushed, no continuity without the horn button pushed.

Brake Lights: Connect one lead to pin 1. Insure Hazard Flasher switch is OFF and Turn Signal switch is CENTERED (OFF). There should be continuity between pin 1 and pins 2 and 3.

Hazards: Connect one lead to pin 5 above. Turn on the Hazard Flasher switch (on mine I have to push it in). There should be continuity from pin 5 to each of pins 2, 3, 6, and 7.

Turn Signals: Insure Hazard Flasher switch is OFF. Connect one lead to pin 4. With Turn Signal switch CENTERED, there should be NO Continuity to any other pin. With Turn Signal switch selected for LEFT (Down), there should be continuity between pin 4 and pins 3 and 7. With Turn Signal switch selected for RIGHT (Up), there should be continuity between pin 4 and pins 2 and 6.

Glenn

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.