Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The turn signal didn't work on my '78 trail duster when I got it, replaced the flasher unit and they worked. Drove it just a little bit, then they quit working again. Then I noticed that when I hit the brakes, the front turn signals both light up. I haven't replaced the flasher yet (for the second time). Has anyone seen this happen? What was the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Anytime yor tail lights/turn signals/brake lights begin doing "odd" things, first thing to check is grounds. Clean all of the light bulb sockets and bulb contacts, check the wiring for evidence of worn insulation, and make sre the ground wires re still attached to a clean chassis/body ground.

The turn signals/brake lights share some of the same wiring, so when a ground goes bad, the current finds another path, which is usually the power wire for the "other" circuit.

-SM

·
7,995 Posts
Make sure you have the correct bulbs installed. i believe they should be an 1157(clear) or a 1157NA(natural amber). If the wrong bulbs are installed the contacts in the light asm will short together and cause wierd feedbacks. Also check the rear bulbs(1157)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas, I'll try checking on some of that stuff tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts