Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened last night. 4 way flashers work. Left turn works (flashes). Right turn the light come on, but do not flash.

My thought is the ignition switch, as if the flasher were bad I would think the left signal would not work. However, the ignition switch is relatively new (3 years old, 2 of those years it sat in a garage).

Any other ideas or concurrance before I get pissed off pulling my steering wheel (again)?

-SM

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Lol dont pull the column! Check the right side lights if the left side works propperly then the switch is fine. Usually if the light comes on and doesn't flash a bulb is burned out. Wyatt

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
check your bulbs. you got one out somewhere. most likely int he back since the turn signal and brake lights are on the same part of the bulb.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lights are good. (First thing I checked ;) ) The front bulbs (parking lights) use the same #1157 bulb as the rear (dual filaments)
The front side marker lights disappeared long ago (and the wiring eliminated)

-SM

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
How did you check the bulbs? 1157s have two elements, if one is burned out, the other can still work and confuse the issue. If both elements are working, then check the light bulb sockets for corrosion, also, make sure that the sockets are well grounded.

You should also check the flasher unit thats in the fuse box. It may need to be replaced.

Ed

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Heres an idea turn on the hazard lights walk around to look and see witch bulb isnt flashing on the right side. That'll be the one thats bad. the hazards flash regardless of blown bulbs (unless all are blown) :) The hazzards flash the same element that the brakes and turn signals use VS. the running lights Wyatt

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
for me, if a bulb is bad, it flashes twice as fast....or it stays on...either way, something is not right.
I can't explain why, but that's how it has worked.

You have a seperate flasher for turn signlas and hazard...chack them both by listneing to see if they are clicking. if not, it is bad.
Also check the connections at the sockets..I had one go bad, and had to make a new socket.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the bulbs by (1) physically looking to see that both elements were intact and (2) replacing them with spare bulbs.

I didn't notice any corrosion in the sockets, but I can't say I looked at them very hard either. I will take a wire brush to them just in case before I pull my $%^&%^ steering wheel.

In my first post I stated the hazards worked simply to show that all lights work (tested with headlights/parking lights on....all 4 get 'brighter' (second element lights) when the hazards are going.

Can a bad flasher work on one side and not the other? Like I said the left turn works/blinks properly (and I can hear the flasher clicking). The right side does not flash, it just lights the second bulb element and stays on solid...no clicking from the flasher. The ignition switch is the only thing I can think of that is common to both sides and could malfunction for one side. Hopefully it is just corrosion in the socket.

-SM

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
If the flasher works for one side its good. There is'nt a different flasher for each side just one for the turn one for the hazard. So switching the flasher shouldnt do anything for ya. Sorry Wyatt

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
its beginning to sound like the switch is bad... i know ya dont wanna hear that but it may be true... also dude wheres you pic????

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
moparPW200guy said:
its beginning to sound like the switch is bad... i know ya dont wanna hear that but it may be true... also dude wheres you pic????
Host site went down and I haven't had time to find another free one that is reliable.

Haven't even had time to pull the lights back out and check the sockets yet....been too busy helping friends move all their stuff out of their homes in the evening. The fires are approaching rapidly :(

-SM

·
7,995 Posts
Sledge said:
If the flasher works for one side its good. There is'nt a different flasher for each side just one for the turn one for the hazard. So switching the flasher shouldnt do anything for ya. Sorry Wyatt
Not necessarily true. The flasher is nothing more than a cheap thermal switch/relay. It can only operate when a proper electrical load is applied. It is possible for the flasher to be marginal in performance and the circuit that it tries to activate MAY not have enough load on it to get it to cycle. The flasher has switched power(key on) to it at alll times, it gets it's load or ground from the lights and their grounds. He could have high resistence in the wiring connectors, lamp assemblies or grounds for that circuit or maybe all the bulbs are not lit including the one in the dash panel. He says that the lights dont flash but stay on solid, from this description one would think that the turn signal switch and hazard switch are doing their job. That leaves the circuit before the turn signal switch which is the flasher and fuse block or the circuit after the turn signal switch which is the wiring to the lamps, lamp assemblies and grounds. Swapping/replacing the flashers is an easy and cheap diagnostic tool. Some other examples on how load affects flashers are when you hook up a trailer connector to your stock flasher, the load is greater and the flasher works faster. This calls for a HD flasher that has different thermal properties or an electronic flasher. Ever been in a car that one side blinks faster than the other? The flasher is good but the load is different. Just some thoughts before he pulls the column apart.:):)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And the winner is....Chump. Flasher was bad. Finally had a chance to get to NAPA before they closed.

Just goes to show you....never doubt the man. :) Thanks Chump.

-SM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.