Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all my lights work with brakes/turn signals but none of them respond to the light switch either with running lights on or full lights on. Headlights work.

So my question is is this a switch issue or ground? I'm confused as last issue I had it was bulb issues now as I said they all work but the switch isn't getting them on for running lights.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
year ?  2 fillamints in each bulb , 1 for bright "brake/turn " the other dimmer for running lights , powered by 3 wires, 1 ground , 1 bright , 1 running . all 6 bulbs could be bad , the headlamp switch lead TO the running lights bad , the fuse for running lights , or a fuseable link bad .    I'd check ALL the fuses , the fuseable links, then the connector ON the headlamp switch .  yes they can be OUT and the headlights still work , the 2 are powered by different leads .

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is this the 78 (?) truck you put a 76 (?)harness in?
In addition to what dodge82273 said, did you connect the ground wire from the switch to the dash?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
72 truck with 76 harness.
Turn signals are single filament for the sides duel for the fronts rear bulbs are duel for the brake but both are still good.
all turn signals work but not as running lights.

I'll double check the ground to the dash. After that it is switch? or?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I would then first check the things dodge82273 mentioned...all fuses, fuseable link, connector at switch, etc. and with a test light/multimeter in hand do some testing.

In addition to the possibility of a bad switch what I'm not sure about is if there is any difference in a 72 switch verses a 76 switch. I wouldn't think so. Did you keep the original 76 switch in the truck (that was working fine before the wiring swap?) and plug the 72 harness into it?

Another thought is how the fuse box is bussed. It may have been someone else, but did you have questions one time about putting in a new fuse box and something about yours not being set up right?....I don't recall the specifics of it.

I tore out all the factory wiring out of my truck so I'm pretty rusty in that area of how the light circuit goes through the fuse box. When you say all the turn signals work but not when you have the running lights on - which turn signals are you referring to...all of them or the ones mounted in the grill? If I recall correctly, the turn signals mounted on the lower fender in front of the tire will not blink in the parking light or headlights on position (on my '78 at least)

edit: I just reviewed your initial post and see that none of the turn signals work in headlights on or running/parking lights on

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Doh... 74 not 76 my bad to many things going on
Wiring diagram is exact same except for where it goes through the fire wall they moved wires around which made it a PIA there.
but all Turn signals work at all times but running lights do not this is what is confusing me. I'll check the ground in the morning, Could be something got wet.

Checked the fuses the only one that would effect I believe would be Brake/turn/hazard lights but all look good.

Just to clarify only the running lights are not working. turns and brakes are working at all times.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yep , the wires for running lights are different than the t/s -brake wires , side marker is wired between , it has no ground .      your dash lights probably also don't work .....start with the simple stuff ,  replace all bad fuses ... marking on pannel are not real accurate . then I'd check the headlamp switch . t/s working has NO bearing on p/lamps ... other than the grounds .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.