Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can i find info on properly tuning a rochester Q jet. im getting serously rich when the secondaries are open, and bad fuel mileage under normal driving conditions. i know a long bed power ram 250 with manual trans and 4.10 gears isnt gona get good mileage but i gotta get better average than 8.4 my timing is a lil high ...... only shows up when starting the engine when warm and i have some hesitation around 2.5K rpm with the secondaries open so im thinking it's in the carb tuning. i have carb experence but not with these. basicly i need to know what to adjust before i get into swaping jets ect. David

·
Registered
29,628 Posts
heres the scoop / the big Q is very tuner friendly if you know how / BUT l gotta know which one you have / depending on the one you have / you can adjust it by the front idle screws or the front power valve / as far as the rears go,s its all in the air door and the replaceable rear jets / the rear is a little more difficult/ for the rear you need to know howto adjust the AIR door and a good assortment of the rear needle jets / the AIR door is yer most critical adjustment as far as the secondarys go / if you need more help than l,m giving you right now let me know

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as i know it's stock for an '87 Power Ram 3/4 ton with a 360 it was been replaced when the previous owners moved from Utah to Georgia and the altitude caused it to run like crap, by a two bit cheezy shop that had no clue what they were doing. just to tell you how bad the shop is in an attempt to make it run better they installed an eletric fuel pump in series with the stock mechanical pump.
if you need more spacific info on the carb let me know what you need. David

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just bought a book titled "Rochester Carburetors", by Doug Roe. It's awesome! Everything you could want to know about tuning for performance and economy. Got it from Barns and Noble. Awesome.
Dave

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.