Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I was lookin at getting Thornbirds for my truck after the BFG mt's wear out that are on there. What is the verdict for the 'Birds? A buddy of mine told me the tread comes off and not to get them but I am sceptical of his resource. I dont drive the truck much on the highway and if I was going to go on a long trip I would put my road tires on.

The price is compareable to the Bfg KM's so I figured if the 'Birds dont wear out in 20k I may give them a try. Otherwise I'll stay with the BFG's.

Thanks for your insite on the decision!

Bill

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
search any 4x4 board, like pirate4x4, you will get lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of negative reviews about thornbirds. ive never tried them, but when a few hundered people say they suck, i wouldnt risk trying them.

Duane

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
just like any Swamper made tire they do what there designed to do / l had a set there OK for an ALL Terrain tire / they last pretty long but not as long as the BFG,s would / if l had my choice between the two l,d flip a coin

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i had some TSL thornbirds on my dakota and i hated em. they hummed terribly at anything over 35 so bad i couldn't hear myself think let alone my radio. and they wore out to quickly. i found the bill for the tires with mileage of my dakota and there was only about 10k from purchase to the time i put the BFGs on. as for off road they were bald befor i even took the truck offroad so i would not know.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I've never run them myself, but I hear they don't clear the treads very well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. Looks like 33x12.50 Bfg MT KM's it'll be. The Thornbirds look badass but I am no banker. I cant afford 600 bucks for tires that I'll replace in two years. :eek: I have other mods to buy, finish restoreing the truck, paintjob, rebuild motor, and fishing stuff that I can spend my money on.

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
They hyrdroplane bad. The little siping they have in the center of the tire wears down pretty easy and then its just bald in the middle. The knobs hanging off the side do a better job of throwing mud then propelling the truck forward.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, They are pretty bad. They don't clear out worth a damn and don't have all that much grip. I Like the noise though, I think it's cool. Most people don't share my opinion though. Good all terrain tire at beat. These tires are more for show. Just to look mean....

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have them on my '86 W-150....the 35x14.50x15 size...... they hydroplane terrible and mine only have about 2000 miles on them...can't tell about wearing out mine are still in decent shape. I do NOT recommend them though. BTM.

·
3,940 Posts
i have noticed that the wider versions look like they would handle offroad situations better than the skinny's.
i'm still contemplating getting them for the cherokee. i just like the look of'em. they look as badass as boggers but...............
you would think Interco would drop the price a bit.

if you guys haven't noticed that last 2 issues of Fourwheeler, National Tire & wheel has had a 1/2 page ad on Thornbirds. maybe they have a surplus.....................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts