Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my notice that i have to do emissions testing by the end of august, so i figure it's time to put an exhaust on the truck. It's an '87 RC 4x4. Would it be possible to have the exhaust exit right before the rear tires? is the only option to route it under the frame? if that's the case then forget it i don't wanna lose any ground clearance. any on here done this or think it may be possible? and is there a kit i could buy or would it all have to be custom from a shop? What about using those "universal" truck dual exhaust kits? thanks for any help!!!

·
2,317 Posts
on my old 78, it exited in front of the rear tires. to loud. and in pa, it must exit behind the rear tires. hooker has a dual kit that goes out the back. only need to buy mufflers.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i have BOTH pipes exit the pass side in front of my rear tires. cant stand it. too loud and seeing as how i am a nice person i dont like people in lowriders gettin exhaust in their face:D i'd just run it back personally. its nicer and IF you take it out wheelin you dont get your exhaust crushed if ya hit a big rock with the rear tires. as soon as i can i will be runnin them all the way back with flowmasters and chrome tips.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Gas tank is in the way on the driver's side...you would need to run the pipes below the frame rails, and below the tank on the driver's side. Needless to say you would be losing ground clearance. :(

-SM

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right now i got just the stock manifolds with y-pipe. is there a cheap true dual kit that i can buy and install myself? welding is no problem so all i need is the piping. i really don't even need mufflers, but i may go with flows after i get some more money. im used to it being really loud and haven't gotten shit for it yet... so that really isn't a concern of mine, i just need a complete exhaust.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
why must it be true duals?

here is an idea.

dynomax p/n 289-17674 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet super turbo muffler $49

3" pipe is like $10 for 4ft from jegs.

2.5" pipe is really cheap (free) from local muffler shop.

you could go with simple 90º elbows that bothe exit in front of rear wheels on passenger side.

or u cuold branch one off to drivers side.

or u could have muffler shop bend tubing up and over axle and straight out back.

definetly ask muffler shop if you can rummage through scrap bin.

i built entire exhaust from turbo back to new chrome tip for $25 including hardware and turbo muffler.

u can do this cheaply.

mine was a single 2.5" exhaust exiting behind drivers door on my shadow. mounted muffler in the fake tranny tunnel and ran pipe in fake drive shaft tunnel (front wheel drive leaves a lot of room under car ;D)

muffler shop giime sections of 2.5" pipe for free. its left overs from custom exhausts.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well right now both pipes are running the pass side frame railthen under the rail out. i have been thinkin bout 3" all the way back on my PW also but i like the look and sound of duals. i could run them along the pass side like they are now but that would make one side longer than the other. more backpressure on one side. thats the only thing i dont like.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I run stock manifolds, through the Y-pipe, into 2.5 inch pipe that goes about 4 feet under the bed and dumps. No converters and no mufflers. It actually idles quiter than my moms toyota and doesn't get load till you hit the secondaries. I don't mind it, but my girlfriend hates it...If your used to load, then it isn't a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, if you have to do emissions testing, what you say you have now will most likely fail.

I ran mine out the back right under the frame rails, and you do not lose clearance, as the pipes will not hang any lower then the spring hangar buckets. You can see it in some of the pics inthe rc section, trcm's trucks.

If you have to do emissions testing, and you truck did not come from the factory with duals, it will fail if it has them (at least the visual part of it).

·
Registered
497 Posts
I saw a truck once that was running duals outside the frame. (This eliminates the gas tank problems) The pipe was taken off the manifolds dropped down and turned out under the frame right behind the front spring mounts. Then the pipe turned 90 degrees again and ran beside the frame. It was bent upward just slightly to get some extra ground clearance for the converters and mufflers outside the frame. It turned down and out just before the rear wheel. It looked like 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch pipe. With this set-up the pipe hangs just slightly below the spring mount so loss of ground clearance is minimal. This results in an extra bend in the pipe, but that is still better than bending it several times to go over the rear axle.

You would have to check with your local emission inspection folks though to find out if this is legal in your area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any companies out there that sell a complete (or cat-back) kit so i don't have to pay a shop to do it all custom? i think for now i just don't want any trouble with the emissions people, then after that i'll make a really cool exhaust. thanks for the help

·
2,317 Posts
the hooker kit is true duals. you could put conveters on, but extra $. i think dynomax has a cat back single.

·
Registered
891 Posts
When I got my powerwagon it had the drivers exhaust cross over to the passenger side right after the t-case crossmember then both pipes ran to the back together. It was true duals, but it got around the gas tank and stuff.
But that exhaust was totally rusted out so for a while I ran open headers. But the cops didn't like that, so I just reused a piece of the old pipes and now I have two glasspacks right where the two pipes meet on the passenger side. Sometime I'll redo the whole thing and probably do stacks out of the bed, since its emissions exempt and mostly trail only anyways.

·
2,317 Posts
the hooker kit does it like that.both pipes down the pass side. they make it for headers or manifolds. summit can get both, lst time i check around 120.00 $

·
Registered
57 Posts
A good cheap muffler that sounds really great are the flowtech afterburner mufflers made by holley.I have true duals on my 78 with these and hooker comp headers coming into 4" chrome tips in front of my rear tires and it sounds killer

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
i have the exhaust you are all talking about with lil tiny glasspacks. Really loud. Really loud. But i like noisy vehicles. anyways. He ran mine out side the frame rails. wiht glasspacks and it sounds strong.
i have no cats either with 2.5 inch pipe. cost 160 bucks. I have headers too. It pretty much is like open headers with a lil tone.

·
Registered
486 Posts
im runnig true duel short as possible with just glasspacks on.. exits befor the rear tieres and aimed towards the ground on a angle....works awsome! and i like them loud!!

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
For the rear on the drivers side you can also run BETWEEN the frame and the springs. You need to make VERY sure that the springs wont hit the pipe, but if you have a lift you should be fine unless you are real flexy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.