Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was being kinda cantakerous off and on.Would run fine then wouldn't start off and on.Eventually flooring it and cranking her got her going again.This time she's down for the count.Seems to have good spark,gettin plenty of gas ,but she just turns and turns till the battery goes down.Seems like she wants to go when I pump the gas and hold it down but just can't quite make it.Basic tune up(cap/rotor/plugs)didn't do any good.I'm contused.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Too much initial timing is a definite possibility. Possibly a jumped or worn timing chain, or worn dist. Have you done a compression test?

-SM

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dunno.Kinda hard to check at this point,I have no reason to suspect it,less she bit the dust on startup.She ran like a scalded goat gettin into the driveway.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Most likely not compression, but it is the only 'ingredient' missing from above to make the engine run. if it has spark, is getting fuel & air, and has compression, it will run. If it has all three and won't fire, it has to be timing.

-SM

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
timing..maybe. If you have spark and fuel, and she was running fine when she quit starting, I'd not suspect the timing.

I would say check the air gap on the reluctor/pick-up in the distirbutor, and make sure the neutral safety switch is good.

Both of these items have bitten my in the arse in the past. Even had the truck towed home when the relucotr air gap caused the no start, and had it towed to a dealer for the neutral safety switch issue. TRalk about feeling really dumb !!!!!!!

MAKE SURE you use a brass feeler gage when checking the reluctor air gap, or you wil be buying a new pick up.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
right now my darts doin the same thing.... i'll let ya know what the problem is when i find out from the shop...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I thought about timing but like I said,she was runnin fine when I turned her off.Haven't gotten to the pickup yet cuz it's just such a pain in the butt to get to.Wouldn't the neutral safety switch keep it from turnin over at all?I did replace the dist a year or so back.Guess I'll pick up the innards and crawl on top.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
It should, I ws just giving you some ideas to check cuz they gave me the same problem you have.

By the way, the dist that had the pickup come loose was only a year old.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts