Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says I have to hard crank for about 4 seconds 3 to 4 times before it turns over.
As soon as it fires  there is a quick jump in rpm from giving gas and then it idles and drives perfectly. No problems while running.
Happens all the time not just after it sits.
Is there anything I should or could look for as I start it?
I was thinking a fuel delivery issue?
We can hear the pump turn on when the key is in the on position? However while the truck is running the pump is pretty loud, you can hear it over the exhaust. Also the first turn almost seems like it catches then just misses and spins.
Only code thrown is usual battery, lock up, voltage out of range "due to external regulator".
Also just passed emissions today.

Just checked:
Compression  115ish all around
Fuel pressure 15ish at the tbi.
Brand new fuel filter.
Brand new O2 sensor
New cat "but did this before new cat"
No hose leak I could find.

Thanks again guys. We almost have it road worthy.

1990 Ramcharger 360 4x4 base

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
Check fuel pressure after it's been sitting a long time. Bet the fuel pressure will have bled off

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Turn the key on then wait for a second then off and again  on and wait a second then off and then start. It gives the pump extra time to prime.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yup agreed , if that helps , it says the check valve in the fuel system is NOT holding pressure . also , check the normal tune up stuff , spark plugs , dizzy cap , rotor , wires... none of which will set a code even if they are bad ...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I would like to figure out hous to upload a video so you guys can see what I'm seeing. Anyway got the wife to help me start it up as I'm looking at the tb and right behind it I noticed "what I believe is the oil pressure sensor maybe"? Our crack sensor, basically unplugged. Cleaned it up and corrected it. Started right up after about 3 seconds 4 times after.
So not sure which sensor it was but that was my culprit I believe. I will run a few more starts in the am.
Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
even a snap shot photo of that plug would be helpfull for the next guy ?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thats the oil pressure. Not related to your issue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, your right. I decided it best to do a good cleaning to really see what could be going on. So it started to happen again the next day, then stopped and was fine and then did it again.

When it happens it is 5 full cranks every time, then turns and runs just fine.
As I was inspecting the area around that pressure sensor after I cleaned the motor I noticed something else. Add I kinda played with it I had my wife start the truck and it turned over right away.
Notelecting sure but I assume this is the connector for the pick up coil possibly?

What do you think? It looked in bad shape could this be my issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If it comes from the distributor then yes it's your pick up coil aka hall effects.  Yes a poor signal will stop both spark and fuel.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, yeah it is right off the side of the dizzy. Ok. I'll look into a replacement. I'll keep the thread updated as I go. I've noticed that when it turns over right away the us fuel at the TB spraying.
Haven't checked fuel at TB when it has the issue.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
after I cleaned the motor .....  hummmmm ...  wet connectors , wet cap ..... bad connection...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I let it sit well over night and all day after I used the air hose on it. It is 90° degrees here in albuquerque. I'm going to go back out and try again in a few.

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
attic.505 said:
I let it sit well over night and all day after I used the air hose on it. It is 90° degrees here in albuquerque. I'm going to go back out and try again in a few.
If you should need to replace that pick up assembly, use a genuine Mopar part. Not worth using a risky Chinese replacement

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, yeah toxic I think it will be coming down to that. It is so on and off now that it really seems the best answer is to replace it. I'll call napa in the am and see what they got. They should have a mopar unit right? Or would jegs be a more proper solution.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
dodge dealer is where I get dodge(mopar ) parts from , napa , jegs  sell aftermarket parts . But there's no telling where dodge gets them made these days either .........

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
I've not seen Napa carry factory parts. Jegs and Summit carry some, but you have to select carefully on their website. I've bought from eBay at times from reputable sellers to try to save from my local stealer's markup.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well damn, I really thought it was the pick up.  I replaced it and still exactly 5 hits before she turns over.  Every time whether I crank on it or just bump it, it is 5 times exactly. I have fuel because I'm watching it in the TB is the a way I can check spark guys easily? I don't have a timing light.
Grrr man.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,339 Posts
Read post #2

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it is happening every time even immediately after I shut it off? Would it still bleed back immediately like that?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.