Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 360 that i am going to put into my rc. I am not sure if it is a car or truck motor or if there is any differences between the two like deck height. Is there any way to tell if it is a car or truck motor and will it be enough for a truck as far as drability with ocassional towing and wheelin. thanks john

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Not much difference really.  Cams, intakes and heads can vary depending on what year engine you are dealing with and truck engines will have a rear sump oil pan and cars will have a center sump pan.  As far as durability, the effected parts are generally identical on either a car or truck engine.  With all of that said, most of the time you can find the VIN on the side of the block and/or the engine code on the stamp pad on the front of the block under the driver's side head that when decoded can tell you what body it came in.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Thinking a bit more on this, in terms of durability, I think I personally would take a Police Interceptor 360 over a Heavy Duty truck 360.  Police engines generally come with a few additions and make slightly more power depending on the year and engine.

G

·
The taxi and cop type units usually had molybdenum coated piston rings and show minimal wear even with over 100k on them. Car Craft even used the type for their 318 Junkyard Jewel article. 400hp on a stock shortblock.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Elwenil said:
Thinking a bit more on this, in terms of durability, I think I personally would take a Police Interceptor 360 over a Heavy Duty truck 360. Police engines generally come with a few additions and make slightly more power depending on the year and engine.
there is alot of mis information out there but '80 was the very last year Mopar put a 360 in a cop car.
if you find one newer it was "put" in there after the fact.
Heck in 82-83 you could ONLY get a 360 if you bought a 1-ton truck; even in a 3/4 T like mine you had 3 choices; slant 6, 318-2 bbl or 318-4bbl. go to the parts store and ask for anything for an 82 or 83 1/2 or 3/4 ton; they will even tell you that any other engine "wasnt available" that year!
but for "my" purposes, the 318 in my 83 has done everything I have wanted it to. I did cam it and put Magnum heads and a 4 bbl on it but it will run circles around the 360 in my kid's 89 RC. same 3.55 gearing in both neither has the OD trans, (both 727s) both have ~31-31-1/2" tall tires (so cruise RPM is almost identical) but the one BIG difference? we cant keep the 360 fed! it's way THIRSTY! there is a huge difference between the 318 and 360 there. and the 318 is carb'd--360 TBI; I thought computers were for clser "control" for better MPG! I hear similar stories about people with the new 4.7s which never came with a carb from the factory.

G

·
They were used as late as '87 in CA cars, and they also had lives in taxis and ambulances.
Factory injection, especially early TBI, is much more about emissions, not mileage, and until wide-band O2 sensors are used, it's not about anything else. For example, I was reading in the 1990 FSM and it states there's an SBEC input from the brake light switch! It states that after receiving this input the SBEC maintains idle speed to a scheduled RPM through control of the Idle Speed Control Actuator. Can you believe that?!?!

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Kinda got off topic.  But I would argue that there is no factory 360's put into the 80's cop cars.  I've read many times that they came that way or were put there. but I've never seen one example,  just people saying it happened.

As far as differences in car and truck 360.  There is very little. engine mounts and oil pan and amount of emissions each one has.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
The VIN numbers don't even list the 360 in the '80s for cars.  There are a couple HD 318 and police specific 318s here and there, but no 360.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Elwenil said:
The VIN numbers don't even list the 360 in the '80s for cars. There are a couple HD 318 and police specific 318s here and there, but no 360.
1980 only in cars. Most of the "360s" after that were 318s with 360 intake/heads/carb.

G

·
Correct on the 360 dippys. They were through '79 only. '80's 360 m-bodies, at least from the factory, appear to be an urban legend. Live and learn. Looks Luke even Allpar can be wrong.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
gen1dak said:
Correct on the 360 dippys. They were through '79 only. '80's 360 m-bodies, at least from the factory, appear to be an urban legend. Live and learn. Looks Luke even Allpar can be wrong.
There were some '80 360 cars. I can't remember what all, mostly specific performance packages and police vehicles. After that, no more 360s factory. So no 1981 cars with 360s, just 318 4 barrels.

G

·
Maybe some re-badged '79's that didn't sell? From what I'm seeing, the m-bodies weren't carb certified after '79. Aspens/volares, yes, but not the m's. I dunno. Doesn't matter to me. They're rare either way.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
gen1dak said:
Maybe some re-badged '79's that didn't sell? From what I'm seeing, the m-bodies weren't carb certified after '79. Aspens/volares, yes, but not the m's. I dunno. Doesn't matter to me. They're rare either way.
Aspens/Volares, St. Regis, Mirada/Cordoba. For '80 I don't see why an M couldn't have had one given those having them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts