Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, continuation from earlier post. I let the truck sit for a couple of hours. Went out to start it. Truck started up right away, ran perfect for about 10-15 minutes, and just died, again. Then it won’t start again. Anybody have any ideas? Thing is driving me nuts. Earlier I noticed the truck was a little hot. Hoses were 180-190, coil temperature was that hot as well. Going to replace the thermostat tomorrow. I wiggled all of the wiring harnesses as the truck was running with no issues. I’m real sick of this thing.

thanks in advance for advice.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,186 Posts
Sounds like the ignition module, what year is your truck again?

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,186 Posts
Yep. Let it cool down and I'll bet it will run again until it gets hot again. Mine did the same in my old IROC and T/A.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l,d say ECM then or Dist pickup

l just wish we knew which year YUGO we were talking about

howdy / please fill out your SIG that shows at the bottom of your posts with your truck info = it cuts down on the BS and and you recieve better answers because members dont hafta guess which year YUGO you drive ???

NOTE / if you dont know howto fill out your SIG just ask me or a Mod for help ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: jcm3

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

howdy / please fill out your SIG that shows at the bottom of your posts with your truck info = it cuts down on the BS and and you recieve better answers because members dont hafta guess which year YUGO you drive ???

NOTE / if you dont know howto fill out your SIG just ask me or a Mod for help ;)

Ok I did the thing lol

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
Still sounds like the ignition module in the distributor to me.

Reactions: Kohnkewfd

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
Wait, actually I don't think there is an electronic control module in the distributor in '86. Maybe it's the brain box instead.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked coil, looks good for a while then no spark. Switched the coil from my other truck, some thing. This thing is going to junk yard soon.

Dodgeboys, I just noticed these things. The backing of both these units have all melted away. Will this have anything to do with the truck not running?
Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Dodgeboys, I just noticed these things. The backing of both these units have all melted away. Will this have anything to do with the truck not running? View attachment 631320
View attachment 631319

those TWO things are either the EGR timer - AC clutch cycling - ESA time delay or AIR pump solenoids , depends on what your motor has for options , just unplug them for now as the power wires to them could kill your ignition by shorting it out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
those TWO things are either the EGR timer - AC clutch cycling - ESA time delay or AIR pump solenoids , depends on what your motor has for options , just unplug them for now as the power wires to them could kill your ignition by shorting it out

Ok, I just had it towed to a shop. I gave up on it. When you say short out the ignition what part are you you referring to? So I can let the shop know. Can these just be unplugged permanently? I’m thinking something shorted out because all of that black material is gone from those two parts.

Also, is there a way to just remove all this lean burn crap for a more basic setup? I actually like the Quadrajet after figuring it out and getting it dialed in before this stupid mess. I want to remove the air pump and all the emissions garbage. There is currently no belt to the air pump anyway.

please help

thanks again

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
You could buy the Pertronix ignition system and be completely done with the lean burn system.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You could buy the Pertronix ignition system and be completely done with the lean burn system.
This OR numerous other solutions:

1) New or remanned mopar distributor and use the factory box
2) Same distributor but use HEI conversion (I use this on my dart now, have also used it on other Mopars and jeeps and Fords}
3) Points distributor is even better than lean burn (my fave, cuz i am OLD) :)

But in any case IMO, lean burn HAS GOT TO GO.

·
Super Moderator
7,186 Posts
The HEI conversion is a good one for sure and cheaper.
I like the Pertronix because it's more powerful and is MOSFET and it has a built-in rev limiter. 👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys, off topic maybe, but where does this hose go? Intake or exhaust. I just noticed in a more recent picture that the hose is missing. Wondering if water or any other contaminates getting in the the metal tube it connects to would have anything to do with the truck not running.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 29 Posts