Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all here is the breakdown and how I got my Truck Avenger.
Basics = 86 Dodge ramcharger 4x4 500 miles on new rebuild
318 bored .30 over (now 323)
9.1:1 CR
stock crank
Large 360 valves in the #302 swirl port heads
Mopar electronic ignition with fast advance springs
mopar orange box
***new (installed today) Accell hp coil
headers to (no-cat) dynomax super turbo side exiting exhaust
edelbrock preformer intake.
HP= approx 300 ( I will get a dyno in 500 miles after break in)
(thats it I think :D)

Ok for the review I had a Holley 670 CFM Street Avenger then I installed a 1" carb spacer. When the Street Avenger broke I switched to a Truck Avenger. I paid $359 for the SA and $389 for the TA (Summit hooked me up and let me return th SA and I paid only $30 for the difference)

Torque winner = Street Avenger with 1" carb spacer
(Truck Avenger is slightly less torque but
still better then stock Street Avenger)
Midrange winner= Truck Avenger
Top end Winner = Street Avenger (with no carb spacer)

General notes :
Street avenger Stock low end power with a bog right off 1000 rpm and then had a very nice mid-high rpm rush. ( 3000-5200. Loss of power @5200 rpm)

Street avenger with 1" carb spacer could peel the tires out then had a huge flat spot after that with a semi nice rush and ran out of power around 4300 rpm.

Truck avenger has a nice torque rush (not quite as big as with the Street avenger with 1" carb spacer) with a tiny bog, followed by a booming midrange (biggest of all) with a nice top end rpm rush that ends by 4950 rpm.

Now for reliability. I don't know, but something was wrong with the SA. I could not get the primary float level set (something was broken) rear sight plug snapped off in half, and linkage eventually stuck! So that is why I traded for the Truck Avenger.

Warm up = way better with the Truck avenger. It starts easier and the choke is set up correctly.

I will try and find out how to get rid of the bog and will report on it. I also have pictures I will post on my website soon.

I have a heavy duty secondary spring in the TA for better fuel economy and I had a light weight secondary spring in the SA. This light weight spring made a world of difference in top end with out sacrificing low end. I will try it and report on it too.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.
Andy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One note I forgot.
When I put the street avenger on I got the check engine light on.

When I put the 1" carb spacer on the light dissapeared.

Now when I put the Truck Avenger on the light came back on.

Anyone have any ideas why?
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have around 1300 miles on the engine now and time for a little more info. I'm still having a stumble right off idle. The front sight plug is very hard to see, so I'm not sure if the level is set. It is very hard starting in the cold, I'm not sure the splice to my choke went over well. (not sure if the choke is comming on.)
I towed 5000+ pounds over 700 "hilly" miles and here is what I noticed.
6 + MPG right of the bat with black smoke comming out the pipes every now and then (rich condition I'm pretty sure). It smoothed out and no more black smoke. By the end of my trip I recieved 9+ MPG. Not towing I am getting 9-11 MPG, but nothing better then that. I am also using 93 + octane.

Problems:
Every time I hit the accelarator at lower rpm (700-3000 rpm) I get a hesitation especially when cold and I have to breifly feather it as not to kill the engine or light back fire. No matter how hard I try to set idle it, idle's high @ 1100 RPM under no load 800 rpm under load. The movement of all the linkage is fine with no binds and prober spring tension (varified).

Very very hard starting when cold. I have to pump it a couple of times, crank it, it briefly fires, then dies ...repeat 5 times over before it catches and stays running. After it is warm no problem starting the first crank.

I hope this helped and if anyone has any carb help please let me know.
Thanks,
Andy

·
5,139 Posts
One question. Have you tried the Truck Avenger with the 1 inch spacer?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trailduster79 said:
One question. Have you tried the Truck Avenger with the 1 inch spacer?
Not yet I am taking it to the dyno next week and will try it on the dyno. :D
Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the voltage to the choke if its spliced it make be weak if its weak it won't preform right if at all. And yes I learned the hard way too!!! Finnally got my SA cooking. Used vacuum gauge to set and used yellow spring.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 good things to report on the truck avenger. First of all I "fixed" the hesitation problem Culpret= bad fuel filter. Now no hesitation (or very very little). Secondly I had to get a air cleaner spacer for the carb as the 14" Holley air cleaner would not fit with out it. This plastic piece was causing a hinderance by the choke. The choke would not come. I filed away at it and low and behold it works now. So this "fixes" the choke not comming on in the morning problem. I also changed over the the yellow (quicker) spring for the vaccume seccondary and noticed a little quicker on the seccondaries. I towed 2300 lbs this weekend and noticed 11 MPG going 75 MPH. Not bad. I am anxious to see what my MPG will be with out the trailer.

Andy

·
Registered
842 Posts
flyusmc said:
I also changed over the the yellow (quicker) spring for the vaccume seccondary and noticed a little quicker on the seccondaries. I towed 2300 lbs this weekend and noticed 11 MPG going 75 MPH. Not bad. I am anxious to see what my MPG will be with out the trailer.

Andy
At what pedal do the secondaries kick in?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At what pedal do the secondaries kick in?
Not sure the percise time It is not a pedel thing but a vaccum thing. They open when the vaccum gets high enough, so it varies with pedel travel.

Andy

·
5,139 Posts
What results did you get when you went to the dyno?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trailduster79 said:
What results did you get when you went to the dyno?
Hey thanks for remembering/noticing. :) :D
I have a appt this friday I'll be sure to keep all posted

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry all I gotta hold off on the dyno cause I just spent $650 on new seats for the RC :( But when i get some more dough I will.....unless anyone wants to donate $125....:) :) :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think its squarebore, like other Holleys.

Have you tried it offroad? How does it do in offcamber situations, woops, and ascents and descents?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Naah I havent had this carb too much offroad. (no chance yet.) But there is a momantary bog right after a quick turn....wich makes me semi-suspicious abut it during whoops, etc. hmm.....:D
Andy

·
5,139 Posts
Any More Updates?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok all I finaly did some mods to my Truck Avenger (with out takeing it to the dyno.) First of all I was re-experiencing a stumble off idle. I thought maybe I was too rich(by the exhaust smell) so I leaned it out and presto, it completly eliminated the stumble off idle. However I had to fully increase my curb Idle speed to the max just so it wouldn't stall out (800 RPM idle, 500 RPM under load). I figured since I had my carb running perfect (of course)... what would I do but install my 1" OPEN carb spacer. Well I did that and sure enough I gained a TON of low end grunt, with out any noticable high end penality, but I needed to richen the mixtrue just so I could get the idle high enough to not stall out. And now my dreded low RPM stumble is back. AARGH!!! To top this off my hood latch slipped and I cant get my hood open (lol and :( )
So as soon as I figure out how to get my hood open I'll play around with the mixture and see if I can get rid of this stumble.
Andy

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I talked to many a tech people regarding this stumble. They all suggested to get a larger accelerator pump. Standard the Truck Avenger comes with a .28 . I wanted to go to a .40 but the speed shop near my house only had a .37 and a .42. I got the .37 and after some tricky installing I noticed a big imporvement, not perfect but 85% less stumble. So maybe I'll head back there today and try the .42.
Andy

·
5,139 Posts
Are you using a swirl spacer or a solid bore spacer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried changing the cam (or at least the cam setting) on your accelerator pump? I had the exact same problems that you did down to the smallest detail. I eventually went to a 50cc from a 30cc and got a decent improvement. I then went back to the 30cc with the proper cam and works perfectly, starting quickly and pulling strong. Mine is a holley but it is worth noting that (on a holley) there is only one cam (the #1 setting) that is recomended for a 750-800rpm slow idle (the factory setting on small block RC's). Any of the other cams will produce a stumble as they do not kick in quickly enough. I would recomend checking your cam if you have not already.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts