Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get serious about getting stuff ready for my canoe trip in May. Today I'm making out menus and stuff for each day. I am drying as much stuff as posssible, so I need to get going. It takes from 8-12 hours to dry a batch of food. It's a lot different doing trips with my son along, and it was much easier when he was younger to make food lists out. Now he eats more and wants variety. ;D

Any backpackers or multi day campers have any favorite meals? We're going for 12 nights/13 days, so weight and bulkis my biggest concern.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,766 Posts
i1lusion said:
I like MRE's, alot of people complain about them but I like 'em and you cant beat them for weight and compactness.
break down the MREs before to save space an toss what you dont want. get the newer ones with the Heaters! they work great if your tired an dont wanna fire up a stove
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,862 Posts
GORP? also butter (if you can) and cheese. I think if you freeze cheese it will keep for a few days at least.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,766 Posts
what is GORP???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,862 Posts
Good Old Raisens and Peanuts!
Basically, trail mix stuff. High protein and fat stuff to keep you warm and keep you going.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,334 Posts
The cheapest and best sasting ready made dry food. Ramen noodles
 
G

·
cooper30 said:
I'm starting to get serious about getting stuff ready for my canoe trip in May. Today I'm making out menus and stuff for each day. I am drying as much stuff as posssible, so I need to get going. It takes from 8-12 hours to dry a batch of food. It's a lot different doing trips with my son along, and it was much easier when he was younger to make food lists out. Now he eats more and wants variety. ;D

Any backpackers or multi day campers have any favorite meals? We're going for 12 nights/13 days, so weight and bulkis my biggest concern.
Damn Cood I envy you, I wish I could take a trip like that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Outlaw said:
Damn Cood I envy you, I wish I could take a trip like that!
think about Nike: just do it. Lots of spots to escape from LA :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
there is just one thing you can do: get out there! I just went to Yosemite (a 3.5 hours trip) last weekend because I felt my roof was falling on my head and man it felt good, and I'm really not in the situation where I can spend 140 Dollars for gas and camping just like that, but you know what: it was well worth it and I should have done this a lot sooner than just this quarter.

I told you before: the area you live in is not that far from nice quick get aways, depending on what you look for and the dunes up here still draw many folks from LA and SF over the weekends, though it's by far not as bad as it is before labor day weekend. Hell, Joshua Tree NP is in your backyard if you want to do some camping, 4x4ing and hiking!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Todd said:
The cheapest and best sasting ready made dry food. Ramen noodles
lol, my little boy would live on Ramen noodles if he could.

It sure does simplify planning meals, and also, it's good cause I know he'll eat them and drink the broth when it's cold out. It warms him up and keeps him hydrated.

I usually use about 1/4 of the seasoning packet to keep his sodium intake down.
******************************************************

Hey Randall, we're going again next May. Wish you could come with us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Outlaw said:
Damn do they let wild animals like me in the wilderness!?
what? sounds more like domesticated to me ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Outlaw said:
Damn do they let wild animals like me in the wilderness!?
lmao

Since I'm going in May, it'll probably snow on us.....exactly what kind of animal are you? Can you handle cold weather? ;D
 
G

·
cooper30 said:
Outlaw said:
Damn do they let wild animals like me in the wilderness!?
lmao

Since I'm going in May, it'll probably snow on us.....exactly what kind of animal are you? Can you handle cold weather? ;D
I was thinkin g a grey wolf but I think Klaus has me pinned for a teddy bear! ;D I love the cold!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,187 Posts
Outlaw said:
I was thinkin g a grey wolf but I think Klaus has me pinned for a teddy bear! ;D I love the cold!
wait, I did mention domesticated, but I can't remember I said anything about you being stuffed with wool ;D

one question though: if you love the cold, what the hell were you doing in TX, not to mention now in LA, though the high desert is cold at night in winter?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top