Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i removed the clunky lower trim off my 89 rc. i then took off the clips. how should i removed the lil studs that held the clips? they arent rivots but more like nail heards welded on. i thought that using a grinder/cutter to remove them then smooth it down would be best but whats your opinions. i kinda want to make the least amount of paint hurt and needed to be reshot. its the original stuff so i figure a few lil off color spots wont be noticable as much big streaks would be. thanks in advance everyone.

·
5,657 Posts
I did this on my friends 87 Ram 150, We used a straight grinder with a cutting blade. It worked real good. But be careful not to get too close to the body or you will cut into it and have to use more bondo. After cutting the tabs off smooth them down. Spray some primer over it Or fill with a little bondo if you cut to deap. Sand the imporfections then another coat of primer, then wet sand. We did this right before we painted the whole truck so the other paint was not a issue.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
We put a vice grip on the head and twist back and forth 1/4 turns each way and 95% of the time it breaks flush

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi -
If you got any of the clips off without breaking the "ears" off and were planning on throwing them out, I would love to have them - when I bought my RC last fall it came with half of the trim sitting in the back. I know everyone seems to like removing it, but I want to put it back on. I just need some more clips - the dealer in NYC (Major Dodge) wanted $4 a pop. I don't want my trim all on that bad... thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts