Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, my friend is getting a new car and she says she wants to have some fun with the old hyundai. I couldn't turn her down. I asked her if she realized that she won't have anything that resembled a car whgen she got done, and hse said 'yes, thats what I'm expecting'. so, its on, but my question is this : does anyone know off the top of their heads how to disconnect the airbags? is there any other "safety issue" that I should prepare the car for?

p.s. in a good old ramcharger fasion, I asked her if I could run it over. she's thing=king about it as we speak ;)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Find a big tree, drive fast towrads it, don't turn, no more airbags. LOL

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
for the air bags / disconnect the BAT for half an hour / then go under the dash and unplug the YELLOW connectors for the air bags / now for safety / make sure the BAT has a good hold down / and put the biggest chowing snow tires you can fit / cut the fenders if you hafta

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the plan is not to have them pop out while we are in the car. maybe a sledgehammer to the front bumper would work the same. or just removing the bags completely.
is there a video posting section on RCC? or just the pic section. either way, there WILL be some show of a ramcharger overtaking a hyundai, I figure, its my duty as a member of this wonderful place we call the RCC

·
Registered
84 Posts
As said before unhook the battery, wait a while, lay on the floor (make sure you are not in the way of the air bag just in case) unhook the yellow connector under the dash, connect two wires to the yellow connector (dont worry there are only two wires) then get out and hook one to ground and touch the other to the positive side of the battery. Voila no more air bag. We do this all the time for our corn field racers, better to be safe than sorry. Oh by the way you dont want to have any kids or pets around, it is louder than a gun shot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice, thanks fatman. will it shatter the windows when the air bag goes? I assume I should leave the doors open so there's not a sudden increase in pressure, but, what about the windshield?

corn field racers?!? sounds pretty damn fun!

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
no need to worry about the windshield, just roll down door windows and short out the circuit. and as was stated, make absolutely sure you ar enot in the way of the thing. if ouy are and are not strapped in they will put you through the back window

just hitting the bumper with a sledge will not do it, most systems work on an elctrical current and a magnet, when oyu hit something the magnet detatches from frame and rolls forward and completes the circuit thereby grounding out system and discharging the bags.

the safest way you have been told so far is fat-man's description

eric

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I say to try and get them out intact.. You can probably sell the air bag on e-bay fopr more than the Hyundai is even worth.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
or if you take the bags out intact, you can have some fun with them. A guy I know who works at a junk yard told me about this.

Take the air bags and a battery to an empty feild, but the airbag face down. Run a long (20-30 feet) set of wires from the airbag connecter to near the battery, don't hook the wires to the connecter just push them in enough to make connection. Using a rock or other item wheight down a wire to the ground on the battery, tie a washer to the other wire and drop it on the positive terminal of the battery. Watch the air bag jump 40 feet in the air.
Saftey note, make sure you stay out of the path of the wires in case they go with the airbag, also watch where the airbag falls.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
At the next fill-up, pour a big bottle of whiskey in the tank...
This way you'll end the fun with a firework's show.

derek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts