Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:Has anybody had problems with the ax-15 5 speed. I've had to go into my son's twice in the last year replacing all of the synchronizers,rings,dawgs,springs,forks,etc.not wanting to tear into it again.Are there any upgrades for a 93 v-6 Dakota from newer or other models? If so what are they&what parts and mods are needed?Please help he's wanting to trade it for a firechicken or a crumbaro.I'd rather set it in the yard and let the tires rot off it first! I can get a used ax-15 from the boneyard for $550 but would like something more HD since he likes to rip the gears so much.What mods are reqired to install a 727 ie.will the crossmember & driveshaft work? I would like to keep it a stick but rebuilds arn't cheap.Dont think the 3.9 Mag. would hurt a big auto.Any ideas? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
G

·
The 727's little brother (904-based) was used in the Dakota before the ovedrive units came along. There's an adapter plate they used to tie the crossmember to the rear of the tranny. Crossmember mods? Nah. Driveshaft? Not sure. Break out the measuring tape. Otherwise, I agree on the NV 3500. It's gutsy, even used in the full-sized trucks. Still, a 727 with a B&M (full auto/full manual control) shift kit might just make him forget all about the stick (especially with a matching B&M floor shifter-they make a longer stick for trucks). It'll also tolerate any mods he goes for, and Gear Vendors has a bolt-in tailshaft replacement overdrive unit if that becomes an option later on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the info I found a used ax-15 for $450 includes tax&delivery w/90 day warnenty I'll go for that till I get it back from him than I can drop in my 318/727 out of my 72 Charger cuz I want a 440 to go in it anyway. Thanks again Triggerbear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.