Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a ramcharger in Cal. I live in TN  what would it cost to get it here ?

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Probably more than you are paying for the Ramcharger, lol.  You can figure it will probably be a little over $1 per mile.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Having bought many mopars in CA and bringing them to NH, your best bet is to drive to Cali, buy a trailer, tow 'er home.  You'd be VERY lucky to find anyone to haul it for a buck a mile.  There are classic car transport companies out there, altho I've never priced one.  YEARS ago, I'm talking 20 years ago I hired a trucking co to haul a backhoe from FL to NH and it was over 2 bucks a mile then.  Thats when fuel was a buck a gallon.

If you're talking a 50k vehicle, a few thousand to ship isn't a big deal.  For a $300 RC? 

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
for mine I looked at transporting it from denver to maine 2700 miles it would of been 1200-2000 pending on company it cost me 500 in gas + 200 for one way plane ticket.

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
lopaka311 said:
for mine I looked at transporting it from denver to maine 2700 miles it would of been 1200-2000 pending on company it cost me 500 in gas + 200 for one way plane ticket.
Musta been a few years ago!

Last year, I looked into it, from Harrisburg pa to Denver, the best I could find, was over 2K, to go the extra 500 miles to Grand Junction, added another $700-$1000. depending on company.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
I got a quote from (U-ship) from CA to PA was $1700 for a crew cab last year.  :-\

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
the trick is get the quote then sit on their daily reminder emails. after 2-3 weeks they drop their prices by about half.

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
lopaka311 said:
the trick is get the quote then sit on their daily reminder emails. after 2-3 weeks they drop their prices by about half.
That only works if you are in a relatively high volume freight lane, and they anticipate empty trailer space. The further you are from normal freight lanes, the less they are interested in you.

Often the better prices are done by booking further out, as companies like to have confirmed freight, as it get closer to the dates, they are looking to fill the empty spaces left by the already booked spaces, or the return trips. but often they will give those spaces as "space available" to dealers, to fill the space, and not have to mess around with several individuals vehicles on a single trip (Ie one individual that does not show up at the appointed time, or the vehicle does not start, ect, can throw the whole trip off).

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
houlton, maine is about as out of the way as possible for shipping from denver. but you are right but what I meant is set a date let it pass and they will try and see if you still need it shipped for a deep discount.

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
lopaka311 said:
houlton, maine is about as out of the way as possible for shipping from denver. but you are right but what I meant is set a date let it pass and they will try and see if you still need it shipped for a deep discount.
That is tough to do when you are buying something. sellers do not like to work that way

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
hence why I would recommend a plane ticket and the gas to get back.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got one shipped from San Diego to Hampshire TN last year. It was $1500 to the door on the back of big old car hauler.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I would fly and drive but it has no eng or trans. the body looks good and you cant find anything without rust around here. my father-in-law is a truck driver and gets to cali alot maybe I should ask himif he would have room for it on a trip back or my wife has an uncle who lives there in cali maybe I could get him to store it till I could get there. lots to think about I have some money stashed but  really didnt want to spend it on shipping charges :-[ thanks for ya'll input.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
DerangedMoose said:
I have some money stashed but really didnt want to spend it on shipping charges :-[ thanks for ya'll input.
I hear that. :-\

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
DerangedMoose said:
my wife has an uncle who lives there in cali maybe I could get him to store it till I could get there.
Storage for a short time will give you more time and options.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
if you can find a donor like I did then swap in engine and tranny took me a week to do the swap and drive 2700 miles.

·
Registered
0 Posts
With no engine or tranny that is that much less weight to tow.  I agree.  Fly, rent, and tow.

Randall

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just shipped my 79 TD from Portland Oregon to NE Oklahoma. It was a nightmare!  Went on U-Ship and found a company called Cal-OK Transport. They had good reviews so I contacted them. We agreed on $700.00 and signed a contract. They broke down twice! Once on the way out there and once on the way back. I was cool with them and told them it was no big deal and that I wasn't in a hurry to get my vehicle. It was a woman and her husband driving a 2002 Dodge diesel pulling a three car carrier. The woman was nice but her husband was a total a-hole. The second break down was in Oklahoma about two hours from my house. They wanted me to come and pick the truck up where they broke down. I told them no and just to deliver it after they fixed their truck. Well the husband I guess being under a lot of stress with the break down started calling me every name in the book and threatened to leave my truck on the side of the road. Ended up them leaving it at a small airport near their house about an hour and a half from me. So I had to drive up and bring it the rest of the way. I was so pissed that I contacted my credit card and disputed the transaction. Got a full refund from the credit card company! Took about five weeks to have my vehicle delivered. 

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.