Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start. It's a 1989 ramcharger with a 318 auto 4x4.
All my positions work on my column shifter except the reverse. I can put it in drive, 1 and 2, all work great and are smooth. It seems as if my neutral and reverse have combined.. It doesn't wanna grab either one. I haven't tried pushing it in neutral, but I assume it works. But when I put it in reverse, and no matter how much gas I give the truck, it doesn't move. Any ideas on what I'm dealing with here and how much it's gonna cost to fix?  Thanks John.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Make sure linkage is adjusted correctly.  If that isn't the problem then probably something with the Rear band inside the transmission.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked all my linkage.. I thought it was the rear band too... Oh we'll I'm not a transmision guy, so once I fix my wiring she's going to the shop

G

·
RCAddict said:
Sounds like the reverse band strut has popped out
The valve body will need dropped to fix it but isn't too hard to repair
I Agree. It's an easy fix, strut is probably laying in pan. Whole or
in two pieces. Should cost around $150.00 at a shop. But I wonder
how many Torque Flights were rebuilt or customers charged for a
rebuild by transmission shops when they knew this was the only
problem.
But sometimes the reverse band ears do brake or crack.

·
29,718 Posts
I don't know your skills, but to me, transmissions are easy. They are easier than engines to rebuild.

If the strut has fallen out, the hardest part is removing the valve body....and that's not very hard at all.

·
29,718 Posts
Well that would depend on what the problem is. If it's just the band strut, no, tranny can stay in. If it is the clutches, then yes, it has to come out.

I'd start by pulling your pan and see what you can find there.

·
29,718 Posts
Yes, you'll need a gasket. You can go to a parts store for the right gasket, but you should do your trans service while you are there (assuming it doesn't need a rebuild), so when you get a new filter, make sure it comes with the gasket (they usually do).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Take the pictures and make sure they are saved to you device or onto your laptop or PC.
Right below the reply box click the attachments and other options link.
You'll get an option to click browse. Find the picture you want to attach and select it. Then click the post button.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Fisher, before chasing the band check to see if you have low gear. Reverse and low gear share a band, so if you Have low it is likely not band or band strut.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts