Dodge RamCharger Central banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
That is a check ball and it goes in one of the passages above the valve body.  One of the hazards of removing a valve body with the transmission in the vehicle.

·
Registered
x_posts
johnnycashjunkie has it correct, you apparently left the shift lever attached to the trans when you removed it.

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
Ah, I see now.  Yeah, it's best to remove the valve body as one piece.

·
Registered
x_posts
There are no check balls that can come out when pulling the valve body.  The others have it right, the poppit for the shift detent.  These come out when the small snap ring that retains the washer against the small seal around the kick down shaft is either left off or comes lose.  It can be tricky getting it and the poppit spring back in place but it is doable.

·
Registered
x_posts
couple things , how BIG was the pry bar you used to rip the VB out with , the Accumulator piston [ large piston type spring thing at the top of your picture] should NOT have come out , make sure the piston go,s back in straight and you can throw the spring away , hopefully you didnt bent the shift shaft lever or worse yet the TV [throttle valve] that controls passing gear and kick down .attached is a pic of a VB assembled ready for install

Attachments

·
Registered
x_posts
DODGEBOYS said:
couple things , how BIG was the pry bar you used to rip the VB out with , the Accumulator piston [ large piston type spring thing at the top of your picture] should NOT have come out , make sure the piston go,s back in straight and you can throw the spring away , hopefully you didnt bent the shift shaft lever or worse yet the TV [throttle valve] that controls passing gear and kick down .attached is a pic of a VB assembled ready for install
I just did a full service on my 1984 and dropped the valve body and the accumulator piston dropped out. As these age the sealing rings collapse and wear. I replace the fiber seals with carbon metal seals. And, I've heard of leaving the spring out but never have. What is the benefit to leaving it out?

·
Registered
x_posts
I had one do that , ball sat ontop of valve body , spring rested on cam , the cam is "staked" to the shaft , it comes loose , and allows the ball to pop out over the cam . You can restake the cam to the shaft , install the spring/ball hold it "back" insert the cam down into body , install the clip , release the ball/spring . I advise changing the seal on the trans case there while your "at it " ...

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #10
DODGEBOYS said:
I got it fixed. It was the detent ball..I didn't remove the rod when I pulled the Valve body. So I figure out how to remove the parking rod, then cussed, and finnaly squeezed that detent ball in and reattached the valve/park rod..

The Piston came right out as well. I dunno, first time I've done this.
Everything went together ok, just have to hook up the linkages.

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
FYI, yes there can be check balls above the valve body on many automatic transmissions that will fall out if you take the valve body out in the vehicle.  Very common with shift kits, but can be found in stock transmissions as well.  That wasn't the case in this situation, but don't think it can't happen.  ;)

·
Registered
x_posts
Elwenil said:
FYI, yes there can be check balls above the valve body on many automatic transmissions that will fall out if you take the valve body out in the vehicle. Very common with shift kits, but can be found in stock transmissions as well. That wasn't the case in this situation, but don't think it can't happen. ;)
On a 727 or 904? Please enlighten me. I've build a number of them and have never encountered that.

·
Registered
x_posts
Broncowilly said:
On a 727 or 904? Please enlighten me. I've build a number of them and have never encountered that.
he is refering to the "balls" that are in side the valve body / also there is a "quick fix" for the "dodgeusnomovuscoldus " malady that chrysler came up with as a ball and spring under the valve body that falls out when you remove the VB

·
Registered
x_posts
I’ve not run into any that fall out by just removing the valve body.  Separating the halves yes.  What is the Chrysler fix that has one fall out just removing the valve body?  Thanks, that’s what I love about this site!  I learn just about every time I log in!

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
The majority of my auto transmission experience is muscle car era 727s and a few 904s and I encountered them occasionally and the parts manuals actually list a couple different ones.  By the time I got into trucks I was pretty much done with automatics and mainly go for the 4 speeds but I don't recall any in a truck 727, though the parts manual does list a 1/4" check ball in the parts.  The ball thing sticks in my memory after having to chase a couple of them around on the ground and then researching where they went to put it back together, lol.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now we have an issue. I mounted the linkage brackets on and connected throttle rod and shifter rod. I cannot get the trans to go into any gear.
I checked where the adjuster was as before I had to loosen it to get the rod back into place..

Any suggestions fellers?
I'm positive I didn't screw anything up when I reinstalled the valve body. ???

·
Registered
x_posts
johnnycashjunkie said:
Now we have an issue. I mounted the linkage brackets on and connected throttle rod and shifter rod. I cannot get the trans to go into any gear.
I checked where the adjuster was as before I had to loosen it to get the rod back into place..

Any suggestions fellers?
I'm positive I didn't screw anything up when I reinstalled the valve body. ???
l,d say you ruined the shift shaft like what was posted in reply # 8 below / sometimes they can be fixed sometimes you screw the pooch

[quote =
Re: Transmission valve body removed, loose bearing?
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:36:48 am »

I had one do that , ball sat ontop of valve body , spring rested on cam , the cam is "staked" to the shaft , it comes loose , and allows the ball to pop out over the cam . You can restake the cam to the shaft , install the spring/ball hold it "back" insert the cam down into body , install the clip , release the ball/spring .

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'm not sure of that.
As stated when I removed the VB and not the shifter, the detent ball was the only thing that came out of place. I successfully installed that..
I'm not sure what to do now.

I have a question. The shifter shaft, if you install just the bracket to that, not the rod, and turn it. How many audible clicks either way should you have?
6 correct (p r n d 2 1)?
I also cannot seem to figure out the shifter lever adjustment in order with selector in cab?

·
Registered
x_posts
first off the dumb red/orange thing in the cab.... is just a spring loaded , string operated gizmo , it has NOTHING to do with the trans linkage at all . the detent ball should NOT even come out of NOR go back into its hole with the "cam" in place . There is a c clip that holds the shaft the cam is staked to in place . each 1/3rd circle of that cam IS a gear . the arm must be in the spool notch .... look at the photos above ....

x_y_of_z_posts