Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's considered normal operating temperature for a stock tranny on an 88 rc 318 tbi 4x4?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
average operating temp according to my FSM for the 727 auto: 180 degree Fahrenheit

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
my FSM doesn't give an average operating temp.

it say the trans fluid should be at NOT (approximately 175 deg) for testing, and in another section it saysfluid must be at not (150 deg - 200 deg) for hydraulic pressure tests.

I'd say the ave temp would be 170-190 deg, if nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just added one and it's reading 180 degrees. I like the idea of knowing what's going on with the tranny fluid....

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if you don't tow, it is up to you.

I don't think it would be needed, but it's yer truck.......if you ant to put it in, go for it.

I will probably put one in mine, not so much for towing, but for rockcrawling where the airflow thru the rad will be minimal, and the load on the trans will be higher.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You can also T off the output tranny line and install the sensor as close as possible to the trans. Just be aware the fluid will be 5-10* hotter in the trans than what the gauge is reading from this location.

The pan is the best location IMO, but if you don't want to drill/punch and tap a hole in the pan, the output line is an acceptable alternative that will still let you know what is going on inside the tranny.

-SM

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
:) the temp. is good to know.. i found out when in 4x4 low, and am giving it some high rpm s .. it goes up very quick.. and takes a while to cool down...the fluid does not go through the radiator.. ::) am going to put the larger pan and see if it realy helps.... quinn :-\

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well if you guy's like to go 4x'ing you should put a trans guage in because of several reasons, low range adds heat, getting stuck in the mud, sand, snow adds heat and if you go at it long enough you will melt your trans, towing adds heat also not nearly as bad as the other 4 though

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been watching the temp gauge recently in this high heat we've been having (100 degrees) and the temp has been between 150 and 180 but mostly around 165.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
That is right where it should be!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.