Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 dodge 318 4 bbl with granny gear 4 speed 3:42 rear end ratio 235 -15 tires and would like to know what i would have to swap to get my 1985 slant 6 4speed (3wO/D)transmission in?I have both complete running truck but slant 6 has been runnig on 5 cylinders for over 2 years Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
first of all is the truck a 2wd? if it is a 4wd that a-833 overdrive tranny is not going to work for you, if it is a 2wd, then of course you will need the tranny and a 318 bell housing.

my big question is why oh why would you want to get rid of that big beautiful bulletproof np435 tranny, other than economy

eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
intenseimages said:
first of all is the truck a 2wd? if it is a 4wd that a-833 overdrive tranny is not going to work for you, if it is a 2wd, then of course you will need the tranny and a 318 bell housing.

my big question is why oh why would you want to get rid of that big beautiful bulletproof np435 tranny, other than economy

eric
The pick up with granny gear trans is 2 wheel drive l/w base and other pick-up is 2 wheel drive s/w base. I own both pick-ups but 1983 was my uncles and when he died I bought it with only 62,000 miles on it. The other pick-up has 6 cyl . with about 200,000 miles on it and only 5 cyl. left. I wanted to get better mileage and lower RPMs at hiway speed.The 1983 was geared for 55 mph.Will the bell housing i have now work for overdrive trans??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If mileage is what you are after...why not look into finding the problem with the slant? Which cylinder is 'dead'...and how is it dead? Rings shot? 200k is just getting a slant broken in ;D

-SM

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
the trannys themselves will interchange, but that /6 bell will not work on the 318 or vice versa.

if you are looking for mileage, just swap carriers in the diff's.

i did this swap but the opposite way in an 82 1/2ton i had. tossed the overdrive tranny and put in the np435 "granny" tranny. i only lost about 2mpg by doing it and losing the overdrive.

and i. like slanted, have to ask, what exactly is wrong with that /6 engine?

eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
intenseimages said:
the trannys themselves will interchange, but that /6 bell will not work on the 318 or vice versa.

if you are looking for mileage, just swap carriers in the diff's.

i did this swap but the opposite way in an 82 1/2ton i had. tossed the overdrive tranny and put in the np435 "granny" tranny. i only lost about 2mpg by doing it and losing the overdrive.

and i. like slanted, have to ask, what exactly is wrong with that /6 engine?

eric
It has a burnt exhaust valve and high mileage. The motor is just tired...It was originally a parts delivery truck for the dodge dealership, then an electrian bought it then I traded an worn out rifle for it. Its fun to drive but my uncles pick-up was so low mileage I couldn' pass on it. I was just looking to get the best of both worlds.Better driver and 4 speed performance..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts