Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 95 Ram 1500 with 360/46RH.....It got dunked in a swamp and would not shift once we got it out.  I dropped the trans pan and it was full of dirty pond water and trans. fluid.  I changed the fluid and filter several times and the fluid in now clean.  I took the truck for a ride and it will not shift out of first gear.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this.  It pulls hard in first (does not slip or hesitiate).  Just will not shift up...

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
yup the solenoids that shift it do not like dirty swamp water at all / l,d pull the valve body and clean it out and hope you can save it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your transmission being a 95 has a hydraulic governor.  They stick with just a little water in the fluid.  You can do a trick that us older trans guys sometimes try before replacing the governor.  Get going about 10 miles an hour and through it into park for a quick second or two.  Don't hesitate at Reverse or it will lock up the trans.  Your going to here a grinding sound and have no danger of it locking up in park at that speed.  The noise you hear is the governor support having the shit shaken out of it and tends to shake the valves loose if your lucky.  Your only other solution is pull the o/d off and replace the governor.  You can do this in the truck with out pulling the trans.  The fun part is getting the park rod back in place.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I had a friend that did this to his Dodge.  We changed the fluid many times and I pulled the valve body apart.  It was full of all kinds of crap.  It started shifting correctly after that.  I told him to get ready for a tranny overhaul.  That was several years ago and to this day it still works and hasn't been O/H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts