Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to overhaul a transmission and thers a kit that im looking to get that has "Incl friction and steel clutch plates, gaskets, seals, orings and sealing rings" and im wondering with this fix the slipping or do i need somthind else? cause the reverse works im told that it just is sippling bad.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Have you adjusted the bands, changed filter and fluid yet? Always go for the cheap fix first is my motto! Not sure if that kit is complete or not I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
810 Posts
Does the kit include any bands? If not, it is not complete by any means. When rebuilding an automatic transmission, the general rule is to replace all the wear items (seals, clutches, bands, etc.) and any "hard parts" (pump, one-way clutches, etc.) that are excessively worn or damaged. So, you never know what you really will need until you get it apart and inspect and measure everything.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Thats why I'm paying to get mine done. I can do it but, theres the nicity of a warranty and free towing if it breaks. Or should I say when it breaks. I have perfect faith in my ability to destroy transmissions. I've burned up at least one in every vehicle I've ever owned. ;D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have a 727 out of a 74 scout 2 i might just play around with get to know the transmission i have all these deals on rebuild kits. but like (v737d) said i need to take a look at it and see whats wrong befor i pay for a kit it could be as small as a oil filter or lose bands. also how do i tighten the bands or check to see if ther lose?

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
The bands are pretty easy to do. One adjustment is on the outside of the trans the other you have to drop the pan and remove the filter. Maybe someone on site can get you the procedure from a '85 FSM. Worst case I can get the numbers from my '87 FSM but not sure if they would be the same. Might also need an 8pt 5/16 socket to adjust one of the screws.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yes the numbers are the same. I think that it is 65 in lbs, but I could be mistaken. The 727 isn't a hard one to rebuild. I just rebuilt mine a year ago in my garage with no special tools. The only thing was I had to rig up a puller to get the front pump off. If you're toying with the idea of trying it, the 727 is about the easiest one to do because there just isn't as much to it compared to others. I got a kit from napa for about $80 that had all the clutch plates seals and gaskets. I didn't replace the bands because I took them to a trusted shop and asked them how they looked. Said they looked good so I put em back it. At the same time I took another $80 and installed a shift kit. I say go for it if you want to try it, but get a manual on it and read through it a few times before you even take one bolt out, and remember BRAKE CLEANER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
id prefer to diy since many shops are notorious for reusing the steel plates.

mopar muscle used a heavy rock on a chain as a front pump puller.

yank on chain. momentum of rock dislodged pump. same pricniple as huge slide hammer.

there are prolly better ways of doing it tho.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
joe swinehart said:
id prefer to diy since many shops are notorious for reusing the steel plates.

mopar muscle used a heavy rock on a chain as a front pump puller.

yank on chain. momentum of rock dislodged pump. same pricniple as huge slide hammer.

there are prolly better ways of doing it tho.
What I did was take 2 long pieces of threaded rod that will fit the holes on the pump and a long piece of metal that will go accross the face of the trans, drilled to holes for the threaded rods, found a couple of nuts and washers and started tightening them up until the pump came off. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i plane on getting it done befor school starts its going to be the only Ramcharger yet alone the only lifted truck, seeing that the trend is to have a rice burner that sounds like my weed wacker lol, but i dont have to worry about finding a parking spot i can park on the hondas our ferds

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.