Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up a 90 W250. Gas 360 with 4 speed manual transmission.
I’m not familiar with the manuals other than the getrag in the diesels. Does anyone have any info on what transmission this may be?

Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Should be a NP435.

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
Unless someone changed it, it is a NP435.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
stan2088 said:
The NV 4500 and Getrag are both 5 speeds right ?
yes

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
If it's a granny gear 4 speed, it's a NP435.  Anything else would require a lot of changes and some obvious cobbling of various parts.

And yes, the NP435 was available at least through the '91 model year, possibly early '92.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would the identification tag have the info on which version the transmission may be, low granny gear or not.

Also, I haven’t been able to find any info on wether or not the getrag 5 speed or NV4500 5 speed will bolt up to my 360 v8?

Thanks for the replies

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
W_A_Watson_II said:
NP435 was offered in two 1st gear configurations, one Granny one not.
It was only chebbys (maybe fords also, I know little about them), that had two gear ratios. Dodge did use the NP445 in the mid 70's which is similar, but has a synchronized first gear with a relativity normal first gear. Dodge did use two versions of the NP 435, but they were a time issue, one up to about 1987, then another after. The difference is in the internal parts, most of which cannot be w=swapped from one to the other. Also dictates which PTO's can be used.

'
stan2088 said:
Would the identification tag have the info on which version the transmission may be, low granny gear or not.
Any of the trannies without a granny gear, are hard to start out in second. granny gears can be skipped for most normal driving. One trip, and you will know what you have.

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
Novak has lots of wrong info on their site. Show me a Mopar part number, or a shop manual that shows the different ratios. Maybe they did in the 60's, I do not mess with those. In the 70's Dodge used the 445, with a 4.59 synchronized first gear, and 4.07 reverse. I have nearly every dodge shop manual from 70, to 93, and several later ones, along with many dodge parts manuals. I have never seen any mention of a Dodge close ratio 435.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The only NP435 offered in the '72-'93 Dodge trucks is the granny gear version. There are a couple different versions of the NP435 used, but all had the same 1st gear. The differences was more in bearing sizes and the PTO ports.

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
Ok, so 60's. Slim chance he will have one in a 90.

You sure that is not a 445? from memory, it looks more like the 445, then the 435.

I was looking for the Email i got from Novak, but cannot find it. They basically said it does not affect what they sell, so they do not care.

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
Ok, thanks.

If possible, can you post some pics from all sides, so I can add them to my collection.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Administrator
62,302 Posts
Thanks. I'll try not to forget that Dodges existed before 72.  ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.