Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two part question.........

1. I am leaking transmission fluid. I brought it to the shop, because when it comes to transmissions I dont like messing with them. But they said they could only find a leak around where the comes off, so they put a new gasket on it, and a new filter, it held for about 4 days, with no leaks. It started leaking again, and it seems like its coming from the same area, any ideas on a fix, or where it might be coming from other than there?

2. I bought some floor mats a few months back, for the front seats. This weekend I lifted the drivers side floor mat for the firt time since buying them to vaccum. There was a huge wet spot........and it was kinda saturated.......My first thought was great, a major transmission fluid problem. So i took a newspapper and soaked some of the fluid out of the carpet to see what color it was. It was black not red. So that ruled out transmission fluid(right?). I checked my break fluid and that is full, my oil was a little on the low side, but i have a small oil leak which is a whole different problem.....my question is....has anyone had this happen or know what it might be and how to fix it. I looked under the car, on the other side of the floor where the leak is, and dont see any leaks or anything....

thanks in advance, i just recently stumbled across this site and am very thankfull it is here, I know i will be checking the forums often.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
On the tranny check where the linkages go into it. I am stumped on the floor one.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Check the linkages for the tranny for leaks, also the dipstick filler tube likes to leak and will look like its the pan leaking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dodge 85 RC said:
Check the linkages for the tranny for leaks, also the dipstick filler tube likes to leak and will look like its the pan leaking.
you win! I added some fluid as i do every week, and i watched it drip out where the filler tube meets the top of the pan :) hmm any ideas on fixing it?

·
7,995 Posts
RamCharger87 said:
Dodge 85 RC said:
you win! I added some fluid as i do every week, and i watched it drip out where the filler tube meets the top of the pan :) hmm any ideas on fixing it?
If it's the dipstick tube then it is probably the O-ring at the bottom of the tube. I think there is only one bolt that holds the tube and it slides right up...be careful as fluid may come out of the top of the tranny where the tube was. Usually when these leak they will leak about 2 pints of fluid and stop leaking...then you add more fluid and it starts leaking again...this is because the fluid actually backs up the tube when the tranny is full and the o-ring is supposed to seal it.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yup just yank it out and put the new o ring on it. Just be sure to not let the o ring fall into the pan.

G

·
RamCharger87 said:
I have a two part question.........

2. I bought some floor mats a few months back, for the front seats. This weekend I lifted the drivers side floor mat for the firt time since buying them to vaccum. There was a huge wet spot........and it was kinda saturated.......My first thought was great, a major transmission fluid problem. So i took a newspapper and soaked some of the fluid out of the carpet to see what color it was. It was black not red. So that ruled out transmission fluid(right?). I checked my break fluid and that is full, my oil was a little on the low side, but i have a small oil leak which is a whole different problem.....my question is....has anyone had this happen or know what it might be and how to fix it. I looked under the car, on the other side of the floor where the leak is, and dont see any leaks or anything....

thanks in advance, i just recently stumbled across this site and am very thankfull it is here, I know i will be checking the forums often.
Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? A mechanical oil pressure gauge will have a hard line (usually plastic) running from the sender to the underside of the dash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PrimerGrey said:
Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? A mechanical oil pressure gauge will have a hard line (usually plastic) running from the sender to the underside of the dash.
I have the stock oil pressure gauge, is that in response to the tranny problem, or the leak on the floor?

Thanks for all the help this site offers, you all rock.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My drivers side floor mat is also wet, but only around the rubber foot pad. The rest of the area is dry, and my truck hasn't been driven in a long time, so I know I didn't spill anything.....and I don't think rain is leaking in......I need help here, too!!

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
For the floor mat leak check your heater core to make sure that isn't corroded. Other wise you may just (!) have moldy rainwater under your mat. These are harder to trace but check to see if all your firewall rubber plugs are in place. Have a buddy spray water all over the front of the truck, including the windshield. Go slowly and look under the dash so you might be able to narrow it down. Don't forget you have two seals around the nubs for the windshield wiper arms.

Good luck

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
v737d said:
For the floor mat leak check your heater core to make sure that isn't corroded. Other wise you may just (!) have moldy rainwater under your mat.
I had that problem too. If I were you, I'd smell it, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between oil and other stuff. I can't imagine what it could be other than water from the heater core though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i think it is just water, what did u do to fix it

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If it is your heater core then you will have to pull out the heater core which is a pain but very doable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what if i just leave it, other than rusting the floor boards, what is worng with it you think, like I will need a new heater core?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If it is the heater core (and with wet floor board it is) then the hole could get bigger you lose more water/antifreeze and you will be stranded at the worst possible time. If the truck overheats you could blow head gaskets get a cracked block/head. It may be a small hole that can be fixed or not.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Heater cores are on the passenger side. His original post said his floor was wet on the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
MudFlap said:
Heater cores are on the passenger side. His original post said his floor was wet on the drivers side.
Good point but when mine went bad I had the coolant leak and run to the drivers side as it ran down the box-so yep I also had it on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
ramit87 said:
MudFlap said:
Good point but when mine went bad I had the coolant leak and run to the drivers side as it ran down the box-so yep I also had it on the drivers side.
I stand corrected. Was the floor not wet on the passenger side? I've never had a heater core go bad on my dodges, so forgive my ignorance ;D ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no its just the drivers side, and its more towards the door side, of the drivers side......

pardon my newbie ignorance....but how exactly would i take the heater core out.,

1 - 20 of 28 Posts