Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Transgo Shift Kit Installation

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Wile E Coyote 
#1 ·
Has anyone actually installed one? I want to get one but I'm concerned with the level of difficult of the installation. I see they come with a video, is that of any help?

Thanks,
Ted

#2 ·
Hey Cooper, I havent actually "installed one" just quite yet, but i have bought it, and read the distructions already, it doesent look very hard , just a bit time consuming, I didnt buy the shift kit that comes with a vid, I bought the tranny rebuild vid seperatly and it also touches on shift kits, the kit i bought is the Transgo TF-3 Full Manual kit for mine, it appears to come with everything needed to do the job right if i can manage to follow directions to the letter

#3 ·
I have done a few they are quite easy just take your time the video is good but check the instructions as the last trasngo kit I did had changed not as much to do now.I have been cheating lately thou as I use a extra valve body to do the work on then just swap it out :D

#4 ·
I installed a B&M one, it wasn't hard. Granted the transgo will be a little different, but just make sure you are clean and have a clean work place to do it on. Plenty of brake cleaner goes a long way.

#6 ·
Yep it is fairly easy to do with the trans still in the truck, one trick thou if you swap the acculmator springs use a floor jack and a peice of wood dowel to hold it in place(you will see) :D

#7 ·
Yea very easy to do in the truck, just take out the valve body...

#8 ·
Thanks guys!! This is going to be my next purchase. Also a deeper pan and I'm going to put in a temp gauge. I've just got to figure out what to do with the exhaust. The pipe is close enough to the bottom of the pan that it's difficult to get the stock pan out of there.

Ted

#9 ·
Dodgeman said:
Hey Cooper, I havent actually "installed one" just quite yet, but i have bought it, and read the distructions already, it doesent look very hard , just a bit time consuming, I didnt buy the shift kit that comes with a vid, I bought the tranny rebuild vid seperatly and it also touches on shift kits, the kit i bought is the Transgo TF-3 Full Manual kit for mine, it appears to come with everything needed to do the job right if i can manage to follow directions to the letter
How's the rebuild look in terms of technical difficulties? I've got the 727 from my 84 that I'd like to rebuild as long as the 518 in my 90 works ok. I figure that I can try to rebuild the 727 and take as much time as I need and also learn about it. I've also got the 727 that came with the 400 I got. I'd like to rebuild that before I stick it in a truck behind the 400.

Ted

#10 ·
I put the TF-2 kit in the '73. The shifts are very firm. A little annoying at times. Even at light throttle it slams into the next gear.

The TF-1 would be my choice if I did one again.

DO NOT eliminate the part throttle kickdown. (you'll understand when you are putting the kit in)

#11 ·
The 727 is a good tranny to rebuild for first timers...

#12 ·
cooper30 said:
Dodgeman said:
How's the rebuild look in terms of technical difficulties? I've got the 727 from my 84 that I'd like to rebuild as long as the 518 in my 90 works ok. I figure that I can try to rebuild the 727 and take as much time as I need and also learn about it. I've also got the 727 that came with the 400 I got. I'd like to rebuild that before I stick it in a truck behind the 400.

Ted
So far i have disassembeld 3 trannies , one big block donor and one small block donor, and the burnt one from the cage the bb had the best internals, and the sb was the case donor, and the burnt one donated the center shaft cause the other 2 are 2 x trannies, I had to use the sb case cause the burnt one is cracked in 2 places , it has a bolt hole on the pan thats cracked off on the inside, and a crack right at the bottom of the bell housing, possibly from a rock, the donor sb also had some worn out parts in it, and the pump was full of dirt cause it was donated to me from a friend who left it outside for the last few years, so far my rebuild is pretty ez, with the vid and the book, and the directions for the shift kit seem easy to follow, just today i got my busing replace throughout the tranny, had to have a shop with the correct bushing drivers do it, as recomended in the vid, also got the case vatted, and cleaned up real good, so maybe tomorrow i will begin some reassembley

#14 ·
Thanks Dodgeman. My 518 is shuddering, even after fluid/filter change, band adjustment, and linkage adjustment. I guess I'll drive it till it dies then use that as my first attempt at rebuilding. I have a 727 to put in while I'm doing it and there's a local tranny shop that has a real good reputation in case I get over my head.

I'll be following your progress. Keep us updated. :)

Ted

#15 ·
Ya know, I bought a junked 727 almost 8 months ago, poured over it, did some small mods and cleanup work.......it still sits in the garage today only 10% done. At this rate, good God it's gonna take a looooong time to rebuild it! I'm still amazed that the current tranny serving duty has lasted this long. I started the rebuild cause it was acting up so bad. I guess that's more testament to how bulletproof they really are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.