Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the transfer case and tranny are married (bolted together), do each of these components hold thier own fluid or do they share the ATF some how?

The reason I ask is that my rig's front axle was on jack stands, the front being elevated higher than the rear, and I lost a considerable amount of fluid. The only spots I saw that looked like there had been leakage was A) the rear yoke on the transfer case, B) a small amount on the bottom of the bell housing. I have not checked the level yet on the T-case, but the Tranny was about 2 quarts low, the size of the spot on the floor of my carport seems alot more than just 2 quarts.

I am gettin ready to move it an need some ideas on where to look so I can try to fix it prior to the move, wich is about 120 miles.

Thanks to BrianT for his suggestions on my "What Next?" post on the Open Board. I will be looking at those as well. But wanted to see if anyone out there had a different outlook or have had this happen to them in the past.

Thanks,

Mutt

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
YES they each have there own / but l have seen the t-case input seal go bad and have the tranny fill the t-case / there is NO tranny rear seal / its the t-case seal that keeps the tranny fluid in / the gasket at the adaptor will leak before it fills the t-case in theory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts