·
Registered
52,716 Posts
you have a 74-79 full time drive line.

N = neural
hi = fulltime free floating power front or back
hi loc = front and rear axles lock with both getting power
lo = lo range not locked free floating power front or back
lo loc = low range with the front and rear axles lock both getting power.

;)

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Also, if you don't already know, don't run in either of the Loc positions while on pavement.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:
On my t-case there is 5 positions on the shifter

HI LOC
HI
N
LO
LO LOC

what does the HI LOC and LO LOC mean??
HI LOC : "Uhh the snow's up to the bumper"
HI : "Normal Driving Today"
N : "Vrrooooom...why aint i moving?"
LO : "More Torque to ze wheels cap'n"
LO LOC : "The S*** has hit the Fan! And the snow is pushing up over the hood"

Those are the 5 Stages of NP203 Full-Time 4WD.

HI LOC and LO LOC are the Locked positions, High & Low Range, Doesn't matter if you're spinning, sliding or driving, both differentials are getting equal power. Where HI and LO distribute power (like 25/75, 50/50, ect) to the Front & Rear Differentials as demanded by Road Conditions/Traction Conditions

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Elwenil said:
Also, if you don't already know, don't run in either of the Loc positions while on pavement.
Yep I forgot that one. :eek:

ChrisKD said:

LMBO! ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why dont you run the locs while your on pavement??

thanks Chris (only i dont get that much snow)

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:
why dont you run the locs while your on pavement??
The front axle and the rear axle are slightly different ratios. (example 3:23'a in the rear and 3:21's up front) On dry pavement it will bind up and cause the weakest point to break, your transfer case. :-\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks for the tid bit...

tell me is it safe to drive on a leaking tranfer case, cause its leaking fiuld out (more to the rear of it)

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:
Well thanks for the tid bit...

tell me is it safe to drive on a leaking tranfer case, cause its leaking fiuld out (more to the rear of it)
That's an output seal and and easy fix. The T-case uses 30w motor oil. Keep it filled till you fix the seal.

you need to take the frontof the rear drive shaft off the yoke, remove the retaining nut off that holds the driveshaft yoke on, pull the yoke out, get the seal out and "tap" a new seal in. It's an easy 45min to and hr job for a novice. ;)

·
29,538 Posts
mopar65pa said:
The front axle and the rear axle are slightly different ratios. (example 3:23'a in the rear and 3:21's up front) On dry pavement it will bind up and cause the weakest point to break, your transfer case. :-\
The difference in .02 of a tire rotation is negligable. The real reason is the front tires turn at different speeds than the rear any time you go into a turn.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Ditto.  There can be several driveshaft RPMs difference in the front and rear when going around a turn which will easily bind and possibly destroy a transfer case.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
The 203 has a built in differential in it.  You run it on the street in either hi or lo.  When you put it in the loc position it acts like a locking differential.  If you are on pavement in hi or lo it will distribute power equally and will drive normally.  If you have it in a loc position it would be similar to a part time 4wd truck with welded spider gears and the manual hubs locked.  It's just something you don't want to do.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
If you have it in a loc position it would be similar to a part time 4wd truck with welded spider gears and the manual hubs locked. [in normal 4x4 position] It's just something you don't want to do.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Agreed, putting the NP203 merely does the same job as shifting a part time 4WD truck into 4WD.  It has no effect on the axles.  To put it plainly, a full time 4WD truck in the Loc position is the same as far as off road traction capability as a part time 4WD truck in 4WD. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so the lock postitions locks in the differentials?

and another someone sayed the t-case takes 30w motor old, well the fluid leaking out of the t-case is transmission fluid, so im a lil lost....

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Lol, Joe  :p

You know i used to drive my old W50 around alot on Dry Pavement in 4-High.  Highway Speeds in 4WD on Dry Roads?  You bet.  :eek:

Never did kill that transfer case.  ;D  It outlived the rest of the truck.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:

and another someone sayed the t-case takes 30w motor old, well the fluid leaking out of the t-case is transmission fluid, so im a lil lost....
NO! The Loc position locks ONE differential, the one located inside the NP203 transfer case. The axles are completely unaffected by the transfer case other than they are now being driven by the driveshafts equally. Like I said before, putting a NP203 in the Loc position is the exact same as shifting a part time 4WD truck into 4WD. Open axle differentials and all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ChrisKD said:

HI LOC and LO LOC are the Locked positions, High & Low Range, Doesn't matter if you're spinning, sliding or driving, both differentials are getting equal power. Where HI and LO distribute power (like 25/75, 50/50, ect) to the Front & Rear Differentials as demanded by Road Conditions/Traction Conditions
haha this is funny

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Kenneth Turcotte said:

If you have transmission fluid leaking out, you have the wrong lubricant in there. As mentioned, the NP203 specifies SAE 10W30 engine oil. Transmission fluid is pretty thin, could be why you T-case is leaking. The seal is probably shot, but perhaps the bearings as well? I'd change out the oil to the correct stuff, hopefully your T-case isn't damaged too much.

The HI and LO are your range selection... 1:1 and 1.96:1 IIRC. The LOC positions are basically your 4WD selections, just like any other 4WD T-case. Other T-cases are labelled different. Selections without the LOC is kind of a primitive AWD, which is your normally driven positions. The LO selection will only go half as fast though! ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts